Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New Mercury V8 250 Pro XS Performance???

I know it is extremely early but so far the performance data I have gathered has not been all that impressive...However, it appears that the new V8 250 Pro XS undoubtedly has a much better hole shot...That is no surprise really...The G2 and the SHO both outperform the 2 stroke Pro XS out of the hole so I'm sure that was a priority for Mercury...I haven't seen anything to warrant a switch from a fairly new (under factory warranty) 250 Pro XS two stroke to a 250 Pro XS V8 four stroke unless of course you just have the $$$ to spend...???

Blazer Boats:

Bass Cat Boats:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bass...se-t38410.html

"Now, how about the engine. Shifting is like butter as the onboard digital shifting and throttle is silk smooth. Using the same cable technology to activate it. Top end and fuel burn is very similar to the existing Pro XS line, and NO oil burn. We saw GPH of 21 gallons an hour on top end, virtually matching the 2 Stroke. Steering is conventional mid section with use of present SeaStar for us.

Weight is right in line with the existing 2 stroke and it is extremely close in weight to existing Pro XS. Amazing when you consider the added cubic inches and two (2) cylinders, that they achieved this. They really worked hard to match the weight for a weight advantage over other four strokes and offering more cylinders.

Hole shot is greatly improved over Optimax 250 2 Stroke. They focused heavily on this the last few months and tweaked timing and product in baby steps. Mid range torque is off the hook as it really develops power once it gets launched. They made a major step in the exhaust as they chose a tuning system from an exotic sports car and it has a rumble and sound that won’t mistake its here to play. This exhaust sound and tuning was specifically chosen for the V8 Pro XS version"

Ranger Owner:

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    hole shot is improved but it's slower from 0-20? am i reading that right?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    hole shot is improved but it's slower from 0-20? am i reading that right?
    That's what I'm reading too. Notice the comments say they felt the 0-20 time could be improved with pvs adjustments. That motor shouldn't need venting to come out of the hole. Only time I see sho guys open vents is when they're running a tall wheel and want to help on holeshot when the wells are full

4. Banned
    Data is not impressive? They took a 4 stroke motor, made it the same weight, 1 mph faster on the boat above and you want to complain??? Put a SHO on that same hull and compare the data first hand, then you can see what is and isn’t impressive.

5. Banned
    I could care less about anymore HP as long as the motor will last longer. Something tells me a V8 will fit that bill.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Data is not impressive? They took a 4 stroke motor, made it the same weight, 1 mph faster on the boat above and you want to complain??? Put a SHO on that same hull and compare the data first hand, then you can see what is and isn’t impressive.
    Might want to check some of the performance numbers on 625/sho combos

That ranger got up and out pretty quick!

8. Member
    For an empty boat with only water in the wells I didn't think that holeshot was that impressive on that ranger. Not that it was worse than other motors, just not that it was better.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Might want to check some of the performance numbers on 625/sho combos

I found 1 valid post and with a 250 SHO, he said 76mph and then there’s the “yeah right” thread of 85mph. Now I’m sure it will go 85 with a flashed to 300 SHO, but not a stock 250 SHO.

10. Member
    Not to hijack but I can't seem to find the answer, are they going to continue to manufacture the 2 stroke for a couple more years as well? Even if i was ready to make the leap i wouldnt want the first year run.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

The 2 Stroke engines are no more at Mercury. They are no longer in production and the field inventory has been dedicated to sold units by OEM builders. The 2 strokes built will have 10 years of dedicated service for parts and acc. from Mercury and it’s dealers.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The 2 Stroke engines are no more at Mercury. They are no longer in production and the field inventory has been dedicated to sold units by OEM builders. The 2 strokes built will have 10 years of dedicated service for parts and acc. from Mercury and it’s dealers.
    Thanks, guess I am getting a Yamaha

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    Thanks, guess I am getting a Yamaha

Thought you weren’t ready for the leap? Only 2 stroke made now is by Evinrude and you can’t buy a SHO at this time.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Thought you weren’t ready for the leap? Only 2 stroke made now is by Evinrude and you can’t buy a SHO at this time.
    I'm not ready for the leap. I would like a 2 stroke merc but it doesn't look like that's going to be an option. I won't be buying a boat until my deployment is over next spring. If o can't get a Mercury then to me the next best choice is Yammi.

15. Member
    How much money will be saved in oil cost?
    Joe

2023 Ranger 521R
    C&O Marine
    Ranger Boats
    Mercury PRO XS 250 V-8
    Lew's
    P-Line
    Pro Tungsten
    Jimmy Boss Rod and Reel service
    Lanier Lawn & Landscaping
    FastBass Marine
    Retired US Army
    Support Our Soldiers

16. Member
    If you have not ran a G2 you might want to try that before you buy. I have taken several guys out with my G2 who was wanting a two stroke and they ended up G2,,,,,,,RT

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joessmokin View Post
    Its about a wash out considering you have to buy oil, filter and a dealer to change it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Its about a wash out considering you have to buy oil, filter and a dealer to change it all out.
    I hate to call BS but that is BS. !00 hour change that can be easily done by anyone with a minimal knowledge of how to turn a wrench. Two stroke oil at 30-40 bucks a gallon will cost much more over a 100 hours of use than the oil change cost. Still, at the price of a rig either is way is peanuts in the big pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Joessmokin View Post
    A yearly service compaired to buying oil every month I think the savings will be couple hundred $$

20. Member
    What kind of warranty on the new four stroke?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast