Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Data is not impressive? They took a 4 stroke motor, made it the same weight, 1 mph faster on the boat above and you want to complain??? Put a SHO on that same hull and compare the data first hand, then you can see what is and isn’t impressive.
    Who is complaining? No one is complaining...It is just not very impressive and from what I've seen so far not worth the $$$ to repower from a Pro XS 2 stroke...

I think you are underestimating the SHO...Mercury has also had about 8 years since the launch of the SHO...

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I found 1 valid post and with a 250 SHO, he said 76mph and then there’s the “yeah right” thread of 85mph. Now I’m sure it will go 85 with a flashed to 300 SHO, but not a stock 250 SHO.
    Scroll down through this post and read the comments about low 80's and the sho being faster on those hulls.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=744310

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Who is complaining? No one is complaining...It is just not very impressive and from what I've seen so far not worth the $$$ to repower from a Pro XS 2 stroke...

I think you are underestimating the SHO...Mercury has also had about 8 years since the launch of the SHO...

Ok explain it, a motor rated at 250hp is supposed to do what more in your opinion to meet “impressive” expectations in your eyes? It’s 1mph faster than the 2 stroke, only cost a couple hundred more than the 2 stroke did, weighs the same, uses less oil than the 2 stroke. What exactly do you think it’s supposed to do?

4. Member
    i think the goal was to build a motor that was emissions compliant, weighed close to the same as the 2-stroke and had similar performance. I think they accomplished that.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

The SHO has already done most of what you mentioned...It is the same weight as the Pro XS 2 stroke...It is equal to and even faster than the Pro XS 2 stroke on certain hulls...It has better hole shot than the Pro XS...It was released in what? 2010?

6. Member
    Nice video, thanks for posting

7. Member
    Did anybody stop to think and consider there is a new SHO coming out and thats why inventory has been bled down to reduce inventory?? Just a thought

8. Member
    With it being a 4.6 V8 it must have some insane torque. Hope someone local gets one so I can check it out. I’m getting sick of paying 33 bucks for a gallon of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    Did anybody stop to think and consider there is a new SHO coming out and thats why inventory has been bled down to reduce inventory?? Just a thought
    I guess will find out soon.The release is today https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/?g...RoCFtcQAvD_BwE

didnt they hype up a 90 sho and a 1000 pound 425? i feel like they should sling the 550 today
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    I guess will find out soon.The release is today https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/?g...RoCFtcQAvD_BwE
    I think that's just for the xto 425's. Info just came out before the release today.

12. Banned
    4 stokes will never match the power to displacement a two stoke has. Two strokes are ugly power but a lot of bang for the buck.

I kinda wonder why a V8 for Merc. Getting 250-300 can be done with a V6 (normally aspirated) without much issue. Suzuki's V6 is doing it with their 250 out of 3.6 liters, that motor has been out since 2004 and I have never heard anything but good out of them. It is about 60lbs heavier but most of us carry way more crap that we need and can be offset by not filling up to the top every time when you get gas. I bet few of us run more than 30 gallons of fuel in a day trip and gas is heavy and bet there are days when we don't even use 10.

Suzuki just does not seem to get the love they deserve imho.

because a v8 that can actually shut the throttle some and make 250 should last longer, you can make a 2.0 4 cyl get 600-800 hp but it wont stay together long
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I am impressed with the new motor. It does what it is supposed to do...replace the 2 stroke DFI with a 4 stroke that performs better and more reliable. The reliability has yet to be seen but I think the whole industry learned from the turn-of-the-century DFI introductions. Being the same weight and a V8 should provide a better hole shot and the lack of DFI air compressor, and 2 stroke oiling system should make the motor more reliable.

The design is completely new but in the end, it is still a 250HP motor and cannot magically make speeds jump up like it is a 350HP motor. 250HP is 250HP and in the bass boat world, there is not a lot of performance to gain.

Doing all this and keeping the price inline with the 2 Stroke version is also impressive. The direct competitors (Evinrude G2 and Yamadog's SHO) are higher priced and Mercury could have increased its MSRP but decided to keep it lower.

Like I wrote...I am glad Mercury finally did it!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I know a 250 is a 250 but there are fast 250s (SHO/Pro XS/G2) and slow 250s (Honda)...A solid 2-3 mph bump on top end while shaving the time to plane in 1/2 (compared to the existing Pro XS) would have been impressive to me...Easily attainable or realistic? Perhaps not but that would have impressed me...I started this thread to discuss performance (hole shot/acceleration/top end)...One can be impressed with the motor itself but not necessarily impressed with the motor's performance...

16. Banned
    I think it could be louder, or sound more like a V8. This whole "quiet" trend in outboards really bores me. At least offer an option for more exhaust note.

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The vid I saw of a 250 4 stroke the Merc sounded good. Then I saw the cut a way of the engine and 3 horizontal running chains????? I'll hold my thoughts and give 'em a chance......

18. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    Must be a lot of folks wanting a look...

Their site is down, right now.
    Who controls John Gill?

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    because a v8 that can actually shut the throttle some and make 250 should last longer, you can make a 2.0 4 cyl get 600-800 hp but it wont stay together long
    And right there is the whole point of Mercury's new V-8's.
    Big displacement so it doesn't have to work hard while making 250hp. That engine could easily make 400hp with more aggressive cams and a different tune.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    I know a 250 is a 250 but there are fast 250s (SHO/Pro XS/G2) and slow 250s (Honda)...A solid 2-3 mph bump on top end while shaving the time to plane in 1/2 (compared to the existing Pro XS) would have been impressive to me...Easily attainable or realistic? Perhaps not but that would have impressed me...I started this thread to discuss performance (hole shot/acceleration/top end)...One can be impressed with the motor itself but not necessarily impressed with the motor's performance...

Don’t you think that maybe it’s a bit early to be disappointed in a motor that you have only seen 1 video on? Let’s get this thing onto some re-powers where owners can comment about their experiences, then we can be disappointed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast