Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Bow weld CRACK - RT188

I'm sick to my stomach... Had the very nose of the RT188 crack at the weld. Right in the weld joint. I didn't buy this boat new, so I don't have a warranty on the boat at all. I'm trying to figure out the best way to repair.

I'm thinking of having an aluminum welder weld back together and then putting a thick piece of flat aluminum on top of the nose and having him weld that over top to increase the strength and decrease the likelihood of cracking again.

I saw a similar crack in a post a couple years ago - but never saw whether or not there was a root cause identified or not. Next step for me is to pull the trolling motor pedal tray and look for internal supports or stringers that may have failed.

Trying to figure out the best way to go about this repair. Any tips? Ideas?

2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Did you hit something with the bow? Or hit something with the TM that may have split the nose like that?
    Regardless, you should contact your insurance co. - even if you don't end up filing a claim to get it fixed, at least you've checked if it's covered.

Maybe contact Ranger also, and send them these pics - perhaps they can lend some advice on repairs.

Did not hit anything, except for some somewhat rough water. Can't believe it split like that, though. Crazy.

I'm planning on chatting with Ranger and seeing if they have any input.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

4. Member
    I would at least talk to Ranger to see if this has happened before and how they addressed it. The big gap at the end is worrisome. I do agree with adding a plate of some kind to strengthen it, something is stressed to create that big of a split.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

I am not saying that it is no big deal because it is and I know you feel horrible. But to make you feel a little better, I have seen cracks on metal boats in a lot worse places. I know your anxiety is high and you are worried, but I think it will be an easy fix for a good aluminum welder. I doubt it will be enough money to file a claim with the insurance company. I would start looking for a good aluminum welder and hopefully you have one somewhere around you that has experience with boats.

It looks to me like the pieces were welded in a strain or maybe the guy before you hit something or was very haphazard about powerloading the boat on the trailer. It could also be a manufacturing defect. The welder might add some support in the area. The key is to find a good aluminum welder. I bet it will be good as new in no time.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

6. Banned
    that sucks, but like Panama said, it could be ALOT worse. Doesn't look "good" though. Get it fixed, and fish on!
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 05-21-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I am not saying that it is no big deal because it is and I know you feel horrible. But to make you feel a little better, I have seen cracks on metal boats in a lot worse places. I know your anxiety is high and you are worried, but I think it will be an easy fix for a good aluminum welder. I doubt it will be enough money to file a claim with the insurance company. I would start looking for a good aluminum welder and hopefully you have one somewhere around you that has experience with boats.

It looks to me like the pieces were welded in a strain or maybe the guy before you hit something or was very haphazard about powerloading the boat on the trailer. It could also be a manufacturing defect. The welder might add some support in the area. The key is to find a good aluminum welder. I bet it will be good as new in no time.
    Thanks man - appreciate it. I have a great welder in my area. He's very precise and does excellent work. He's going to swing by in the next week or so to take a look. I'm going to suggest to him adding some support brace for added strength and get his opinion.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    I would at least talk to Ranger to see if this has happened before and how they addressed it. The big gap at the end is worrisome. I do agree with adding a plate of some kind to strengthen it, something is stressed to create that big of a split.
    I have a message in to them... Hopefully they call back - if not, I'll try again.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    that sucks, but like Panama said, it could be ALOT worse. Doesn't look "good" though. Get it fixed, and fish on!
    Agreed - it could definitely be a lot worse.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

10. Member
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Man that sucks, I don't have any advice just wanted to say sorry that it happened. Hope you get it taken care of without much fuss.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

I remember their being a couple of boats this happened to that had PowerDrive motors on them. I remember thinking it might have been caused by how far the motors overhung the bow and how short the base was, creating a lot of weight flexing up and down on the tip of the bow without a long base to distribute the weight.

But you have a Fortrex which has a long base. So a few questions. Did you have to move the motor out overhanging the bow more to fit the spotlight? How may bolts are mounting the Fortrex to the bow and are they distributed the full length of the base? (I have 8 backed up by large fender washers underneath).

May be totally unrelated but if any of that is a contributing factor, it will need to be resolved before repairing to prevent it happening again.

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Curious of the outcome. I bought mine used and worry about it all the time.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    That really sucks man. I think this is something I'd want the manufacturer to fix, not some guy at a weld shop. I would defiantly want the boat opened up to look at the stringers and braces below the deck.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

I’ve seen this a few times on here. The one guys boat went back to ranger to be fixed. ( in the first pic) Looking down under the bow. You can see the deformation of the bow. It looks to be caved in. So you may definitely have some bow strings with broken weld.

Sorry, this really sucks. But it’s fixable.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

16. Member
    That almost looks like it was caused by the bow roller either loading or unloading, it looks as though it's been pushed upward and also looks like a patch piece was already welded in to strengthen it. I could be very wrong but when I enlarged the pics that is what I see.

Call your insurance company. You might end up with a new hull out of it.

18. Banned
    I posted a similar pic last year or so. Pic came off Facebook and i believe it was only a few months old. Was also on a red hull. Maybe theres something in the red paint....seriously though that really sucks. One thing i know for sure is rivets don't crack.

19. Member
    Why does used mean no warranty?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    Why does used mean no warranty?
    Must be an alumninum thing? Most glass boats have one as long as the original owner sells it in the first five years. Then it’s normally good for ten total years. To my knowledge Basscat is the only one that gives lifetime no matter how many owners. They have to be inspected and a small fee paid to transfer the warranty.

I would send those pictures along with your HIN to Ranger for advice. Hope to get it resolved quickly!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast