Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    I FINALLY got my boat to my local welder... Had it fixed over the weekend. I think it came out great. It was about half a day's work for the welder to prep, fabricate, weld and prime the area. Looks great! Pics to follow shortly.
    Is Ranger helping ($$) in any way?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    Is Ranger helping ($$) in any way?
    Ranger told me to send them the bill and "they will see what they can do". We'll see...

So far Ranger has been great at getting back to me with any requested info and input on suggested fixes.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    That puppy would be going to the market right after repair if it were mine. If you want a tough tin boat take a look at War Eagle or Sea Ark.
    I had issues with a tin boat many years ago and tend to think this would be the way I would go. I had some cracking and reinforced the areas with heavier aluminum. It continued to crack where the heavy aluminum attached to the thin aluminum. I had to go side to side and weld it to the rub rail for it to hold. Getting someone to grind it out, well past the current split and welding it back up should not cost too much. If it cracked again i'd fix it and sell it. Don't think I would over do the "fix" with too much fabrication or additional welding if you even think you want to sell it down the road.

4. Banned
    Not sure how same area on bow edge of my polar kraft shows no weld, but it doesn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    Having had three aluminum boats break up under me going back thirty years or so (and these were powered 25-40 hp), I can say that, eventually, a thin aluminum hull will fail. Combine that experience with the high horsepower ratings we see today, that eventuality becomes a certainty. It is just a matter of time. Don't shoot the messenger.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Having had three aluminum boats break up under me going back thirty years or so (and these were powered 25-40 hp), I can say that, eventually, a thin aluminum hull will fail. Combine that experience with the high horsepower ratings we see today, that eventuality becomes a certainty. It is just a matter of time. Don't shoot the messenger.
    I've owned 6 aluminum boats,....
    1983 Bass tracker II bought new, owned 10 years
    1992 Alumacraft Phantom V17 bough new, owned 5 years
    1998 Grumman 1754B, bought used, owned 10 years
    2003 Xpress H51, bought used, owned 4 years
    2012 Alumacraft Competitor 175, bought new, owned 5 years
    and my current boat, 2017 Polar kraft 195

AND I NEVER HAD A CRACK IN ANY PART OF ANY HULL WHAT SO EVER...??? and that's fishing lake Erie in them!!!

I think he hit something..
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I've owned 6 aluminum boats,....
    1983 Bass tracker II bought new, owned 10 years
    1992 Alumacraft Phantom V17 bough new, owned 5 years
    1998 Grumman 1754B, bought used, owned 10 years
    2003 Xpress H51, bought used, owned 4 years
    2012 Alumacraft Competitor 175, bought new, owned 5 years
    and my current boat, 2017 Polar kraft 195

AND I NEVER HAD A CRACK IN ANY PART OF ANY HULL WHAT SO EVER...??? and that's fishing lake Erie in them!!!
    I've owned my share as well, with zero issues.

Seems like there are always folks who spout off w/o an inkling of engineering / technical experience or aptitude... welcome to social media!

I not only shot the messenger, I blow'd his head clean off...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

9. Banned
    Ive owned two welded aluminum boats. One Triton and the other G3. The Triton cracked in the bow (same spot as OP) and transom. The G3 did not have any cracks and was much better built/reinforced.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    The last pic on the first page looks like the paint is chipped from impact right on the tip. If there was impact this only set the ball in motion and took some time for the crack to spread/open like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Only thing I hit was a rogue wave or 2....
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    The last pic on the first page looks like the paint is chipped from impact right on the tip. If there was impact this only set the ball in motion and took some time for the crack to spread/open like that.
    I think the paint chipped from the weld splitting... You can tell it split right up the welded seam.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

13. Member
    I have had my tin for over 18 years. I have never experienced a crack or rivet issue in all this time.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

UPDATE on my Ranger with pics... My welder did a great job on the crack. He fabricated an angled piece of marine grade aluminum to bridge the gap of the crack and welded it on to reinforce the area. This was pre-approved by Ranger. Once he got it in the shop - it took him half a day to complete with all the prep, fabricating, welding and final primer. Really good job - very impressed with the final product.... Just need to get some factory paint from Ranger and it'll be literally better than new!

2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Final update from Ranger on any kind of financial assistance on the welding to be determined.... Bill came out to around $700
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    Final update from Ranger on any kind of financial assistance on the welding to be determined.... Bill came out to around $700
    That's a really nice job and not a bad price. I'm betting that Ranger will step up to the plate, for hopefully at least half.

Congrats on getting it fixed and such a nice job.

Keep us posted on the final results w/ Ranger.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

You said "better than new" and I agree. That type of reinforcement should eliminate the problem completely.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

18. Member
    This should be the standard design to begin with. Your welder did a great job. Maybe this would give ranger some ideas. Too costly perhaps.

Very nice repair. Definitely got someone that knows what they were doing. Shouldnt see any more issues.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d be happy with that repair! That’s a talented welder. Most people have NO idea how hard it is to weld aluminum, or weld anything with any structural integrity. I know I lack the talent, but I’m smart enough to recognize a nice bead
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast