Thread: MSU...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MSU...

Nice sweep of #1 Florida over the weekend... Good time to be playing great ball.

USM also swept at Marshall, after dropping 2 to La Tech last weekend (it's because I was there ).

Good luck to both teams headed into their respective tournaments... Look forward to seeing them both in a good regional(s).

Oh, and while I'd be happy to see either Nick Sandlin or Luke Reynolds (or even Mangum) win it, I'm really pulling for Zach Shannon (DSU) to win the Boo Ferriss award today... Kid's had an incredible season.
    Last edited by hatcreek; 05-21-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    Who controls John Gill?

2. Member

GO DAWGS!!
    Hi Mike.

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Who controls John Gill?

You left out the best Mississippi school. They going to same tourney.

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moodyjeremy View Post
    You left out the best Mississippi school. They going to same tourney.
    Well, let's see...

Ole Miss is 1-3 vs State (3-3 in-state)

State is 0-3 vs USM (3-3 in-state)

USM is 0-2 vs Ole Miss (3-2 in-state); with Southern basically handing the Rebs a late gift win through brainfarts in Oxford after being up 5-0 (yes, the Trustmark game was a lopsided win for Ole Miss).

But, yep... overall records / Nat'l rankings... I'll concede, y'all are on top... Right now. Tournament time is a whole new ballgame (pardon the pun), though. I'll pull for the Rebels in the NCAA, provided they aren't matched up against USM, State, Texas Tech or Arkansas.

And I mainly left them out of my initial post because of Keith Kessinger... Can't stand to listen to that arrogant, whiny azz call a ballgame.
    Last edited by hatcreek; 05-22-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Who controls John Gill?

6. Member
    The pitcher last night,not being mentally prepared,really didn't know where to go with the ball,likely cost them the game with LSU. Either that or just the pure pressure of being out there got to him. Several mistakes but this was the momentum breaker.They didn't play with the confidence that they normally have. Plus Bain was bringing some heat for a college pitcher! Hope they get their act together.

7. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Yep... Physical errors cost you bases, mental errors/brainfarts (especially in multiples) usually cost you ballgames.

Can't say it was all on State, though, as LSU played a scrappy game... as if their NCAA tourney life depended upon it (and it probably did/does).

Bigger picture for State... If you're gonna lose at Hoover, is it better to lose early and get rested up for a run in the NCAA?

Who knows... guess time will tell.

Oh, and SMTTT!!!

Who controls John Gill?

8. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    A regular season conference champ (USM), a couple of conference tourney champions (USM & Rebs) and all 3 of Mississippi's D1 programs in Regional play... Pretty cool and says a lot about the state of baseball in the state.

State and Oklahoma in a barnburner in Tallahassee right now (9-7 State as I type)!

Good luck to all 3 clubs (especially Southern)... I'd like to have a reason to go to Omaha this year.
    Who controls John Gill?

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Well, how 'bout that...

I think (and have thought for a while, now) State can stop looking for a new head coach... He's been there since early in the season.

Congrats to Coach Henderson & his Bulldogs...

Omaha!
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Well, how 'bout that...

I think (and have thought for a while, now) State can stop looking for a new head coach... He's been there since early in the season.

Omaha!
    off to Omaha!!!!!
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

11. Member
    Well, how 'bout that...

Omaha!
    I agree!!! Omaha!! Omaha!! Omaha!!

I'm just glad I don't have to hear that infernal whistling Vandy was doing. It caused a sudden pressing of the mute button.
    Hi Mike.

Well, how 'bout that...

Omaha!
    Ive been saying the same thing. I've heard that 2 coaches have already been offered and declined. Seems to me the guy that turned what looked like one of the worst teams in the sec into a national championship contender should have the interim tag pulled. Anyways good luck in Omaha.

13. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Ive been saying the same thing. I've heard that 2 coaches have already been offered and declined. Seems to me the guy that turned what looked like one of the worst teams in the sec into a national championship contender should have the interim tag pulled. Anyways good luck in Omaha.

He's sure done a nice job with them.
    Who controls John Gill?

I agree, the talent was there but cans had his mind else where and had not been doing his job. We were blessed to have Henderson on the staff to step in. The only thing that bothers me about Henderson is his ability to recruit. I understand that he has some very good young coaches on the staff that can handle that aspect though. I don't see how you can not hire him with what he has done. I would hate to be in Cohen's shoes right now and throw in that him and Henderson are good friends as well. I will add that I have heard from a former player that Butch Thompson has accepted the job as of two weeks ago they were just waiting for the end of the season for both schools to announce. That is hearsay so we shall see.

By the way, did any of you see the post game press conference with Henderson, Alexander, Mangum, and Keegan? Anytime a question about coaches or coaching came up they all got nervous and the deer in the headlights look.

16. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I didn't get to see that interview, Matt, but those type reactions would be understandable if they're all privy to any information regarding the HC job that hasn't been made public yet.

That said, it would seem Coach Henderson's stock is rising...

"Mississippi State's Gary Henderson has been named the national Coach of the Year by Perfect Game/ Rawlings."

http://www.djournal.com/sports/hende...a599714f4.html

http://www.wtok.com/content/sports/H...485390841.html

Congrats
    Last edited by hatcreek; 06-14-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    Who controls John Gill?

17. Moderator
    This performance will do some of the recruiting for them, kids wanna be part of something special and have exposure. One should expect to get both with signing with state. I am proud of the entire state for their diamond performance and it shows the Sec isn’t just a great football conference.

One way or another Cohen will do the right hire. Something State’s been needing for a long time. An AD

Quote Originally Posted by Cpcat View Post
    One way or another Cohen will do the right hire. Something State’s been needing for a long time. An AD
    The success of Henderson and his assistants have painted Cohen and the administrative higher ups in a corner. If they don't hire Henderson, expect a pretty good backlash. There's an excellent Sports Illustrated article about MSU in which Henderson says he loves it at MSU, wants to stay and keep his assistants.
    ジェラルドの天候
    2021 Ranger 188P 115 Merc CT
    SWMBO ProStaff

Quote Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
    The success of Henderson and his assistants have painted Cohen and the administrative higher ups in a corner. If they don't hire Henderson, expect a pretty good backlash. There's an excellent Sports Illustrated article about MSU in which Henderson says he loves it at MSU, wants to stay and keep his assistants.

Agreed. But either way the Admins,Boosters and fan base etc. will support him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast