idbefishing

State Highway Patrol cops are like panfisherman

Anybody else noticed this? Around here it seems that they only go "fishing" when the weather is good. At least around this part, thru many years of observation, I've concluded that they only sit on the side of the highway or in the median after sun up and during fair weather.

2. Member
    Not in Ohio. Raining off and on Fri and saw 9 on Rt 70 in about 90 miles. Must have been doing some sort of sweep. Then saw 4 more on 71. They must have a lot of man power.
    I see them at night too.

3. Member
    Boycott worthy?
    Praying for a Cure

4. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    Boycott worthy?
    No, no, no. They can stay as predictable as possible for as long as they want.

5. Banned
    Next weekend is the supposed official start of summer. They're just getting a head start to let you know they're there for next weekend.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Next weekend is the supposed official start of summer. They're just getting a head start to let you know they're there for next weekend.
    Winner!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. idbefishing
    Yep, welcoming race fans and make sure they leave safely

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenn.todd View Post
    Not in Ohio. Raining off and on Fri and saw 9 on Rt 70 in about 90 miles. Must have been doing some sort of sweep. Then saw 4 more on 71. They must have a lot of man power.
    I see them at night too.
    They are always out in Ohio. I drive to Indiana from NY every Christmas and I rarely see any sitting in NY, PA, KY, or IN, but they are every where in Ohio, especially on I71.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

9. Member
    I don't really pay attention. I set the cruise at the posted speed limit and take it easy. No need to be in a hurry.

10. Banned
    It is a PITA to issue a citation in inclement weather, plus You have to actually get out of the car. Calling the alleged traffic violator back to the patrol car via the P.A. is 'bad form'..

Plus how many "I couldn't read the ticket..." excuses would one hear in Traffic Court?

Isn't there also a roadway up there that those trafficking in illegal substances use more than another?

There was a couple of guys that got stopped coming/going to a Star Trek convention that got some hits a few years ago..

11. Member
    Rain messes with the radar. Cuts down the range. The department I worked for had a policy that radar shouldn't be used in inclement weather. When your windshield wipers went on, your radar went off.

12. Banned
    I like it how they fish the same spots over and over again.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    Rain messes with the radar. Cuts down the range. The department I worked for had a policy that radar shouldn't be used in inclement weather. When your windshield wipers went on, your radar went off.
    kinda sucks to write tickets in the rain too.

14. Member
    I travel on I-85 a lot. All the way from Opelika, Al to Spartanburg, SC.

I see State Troopers at all hours of the day and night. I also see them during the rain.

I try very hard not to speed, because of the shear number of State Patrol monitoring speed.

Add in local and county law enforcement and the opportunities to get caught are very high.

My cousin is a Ga.trooper , I don't want him pulling cars over on the Atlanta interstates in the dark !! They sometimes only have local law to back them up because not many work the night shift .

16. Member
    Well in the great-ish state of MS there are no troopers on the roads after midnight (I think) unless they are responding to an accident or something. Their not out running radar anyway
    Hi Mike.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    kinda sucks to write tickets in the rain too.
    The legislature passed a law that you have to turn your headlights on during inclement weather. I never saw a ticket for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    The legislature passed a law that you have to turn your headlights on during inclement weather. I never saw a ticket for that.
    One bleak winter morning, I had a trooper, parked at the entrance of an inclined On-ramp, flag me to stop (my auto-headlights weren't on). He literally stepped out in front of me with his hand up as he walked around to my side window!
    Even though I had already slowed to a crawl when I saw his flashers on and him standing next to his squad car, I had to go full ABS, and darn near slid into him as he stepped just passed my front fender! Scared the crap out of me! I thought sure I was gonna run him smooth over.
    I let a few expletives fly under my breath before calmly rolling down my window and saying "Yes sir?".
    He nonchalantly said, "Please turn your headlights on, it's overcast this morning".
    I said "I DAMN NEAR RAN YOU OVER!... what the hell were you thinking stepping out in front of a moving vehicle on an slippery road?!?" ...on the inside.

Out loud, I said "Oh! Ok. Thanks for reminding me, darn auto headlights on these things don't always come on in low light".
    He nodded and smiled, and waved me on.
    I should have brought a spare pair of shorts along that morning.