179 TRX bow electronics?

For owners of this model do you prefer flush mounted on the front panel or mounted on the deck? How is glare on the screen if panel mounted?

2. Member
    No problem reading the flush mounted ones. Unless you're putting a BIG unit up front that can't fit, I would prefer the flush mount.

3. Member
    Ok thank you!

I've got the TR-186 which is pretty much the same boat. Not sure about the 179 but I could only fit a HDS 5 in the flush mount. I had an HDS 7 off to the side on a RAM mount. I recently got a Precision Sonar mount that spans the foot pedal well and it is great. Highly recommend it. TM cables run under it as well which mean you never worry about them getting in the way.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    I just ordered a Hook2 7 from BBG this morning. I will let you know if it fits flush or not but I am not picking up the boat until sometime next week as they still have to rig it out.

6. Member
    Have to watch too.. I moved my HDS 9 . Cuz the trolling motor cable would run up the left hand side of the screen and had to keep moving the cable to see the screen.

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

7. Member
    ​have a 2016 179......the flush mount is fine....only glare is if the sun is directly behind you....

8. Member
    Ok right now I just mounted it to the deck. I may move it to the front panel later. What is the best tool to cut the front panel? I was thinking a dremel with a cutting wheel.

I would leave it on the deck. You have a lot more Adjustability

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

10. Member
    ​when you take the front panel off, it already has the cut-out lines on the back of if....3 different sizes, if i remember correctly....try a jig saw with a fine blade....

11. Member
    Thanks! I am just going to leave it deck mounted for now.

That's what I would do. Iv had them mounted both ways and for me the deck is way better.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

13. Member
    I had the same boat. 2017 Triton 179 TRX with a 115 Mercury 4 stroke. I ran a Precision Sonar over and under bracket on the bow with 2-HDS 9 THOUCHs. It’s a great setup for two units. I can text you some pictures or look up my posts to see more pictures. I traded it for a 2018 Triton 18TX. I have just started installing all my electronics on the new boat. I did not like the flush mounted units.
    Jeff Barnes
    krappiekrazy@yahoo.com

2018 Triton 18TX
    2018 Mercury 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-Lowrance HDS 9 TOUCHs (3 on KONG mounts, 1 on a modified PRECISION SONAR smart bracket.

14. Member
    Krappiekrazy, I saw your mount when I was researching my purchase. Super slick!