1992 Ranger Trail Hub question

1992 482V with 1992 Single Axle Ranger Trail Trailer. Please excuse the rookie question here but I need some advice from those who know more about this topic than me. I am planning to replace the hubs and bearings on my trailer but need some help with determining my options. I have called Ranger and they were able to give me the part number for the original hub assembly which is a Dexter hub and rotor assembly part number 008-451-03. They were not able to give me the part number for bearings. Ranger quoted me $95 per hub to buy it from them, this does not include the bearings. I do not like that you have to remove the wheel to grease the hubs and I would like to see what other options are out there for hubs and bearings. I'm not in a position to check the bearings for the part numbers/sizes. Can someone help me with understanding what my options are with trailer hubs and bearings? Ideally, I would like to find a whole hub/bearing assembly instead of having to buy the parts separately.
    Thanks for input.

2. Member
    The spindles on your trailer are drilled so that you can pump grease from the Zerk on the end of the spindle through the inner bearing and out thorough the outer bearing. Because the spindles are welded to the axles there are no easy replacement options. Also those hubs hav been very reliable and removing the wheel is pretty easy. Have you checked with Dexter to see if they sell the hubs with bearings?
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

If your 1992 trailer is the same as my 1991 trailer was, there is a metal cap over the end of the axle and also a decorative plastic cap that fit behind the wheel so that the wheel has to be removed to get to the metal cap, which had to be removed to grease the hubs. And, there is no zerk on the end of the spindle. Instead, the spindles are drilled and you have to buy a needle fitting for the end of your grease gun. Why do you need to replace the hubs and bearings? Is there a problem with them?

If you can find the right hubs and bearings, you could put a bearing buddy on the end of the hub. But, instead of using it to grease the hub, you could knock off the bearing buddy without having to remove the wheel and then use your grease gun with a needle fitting to grease the bearings through the drilled spindle.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Jeff the thing you push the needle in is a Flush style Zerk fitting
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If your 1992 trailer is the same as my 1991 trailer was, there is a metal cap over the end of the axle and also a decorative plastic cap that fit behind the wheel so that the wheel has to be removed to get to the metal cap, which had to be removed to grease the hubs. And, there is no zerk on the end of the spindle. Instead, the spindles are drilled and you have to buy a needle fitting for the end of your grease gun. Why do you need to replace the hubs and bearings? Is there a problem with them?

If you can find the right hubs and bearings, you could put a bearing buddy on the end of the hub. But, instead of using it to grease the hub, you could knock off the bearing buddy without having to remove the wheel and then use your grease gun with a needle fitting to grease the bearings through the drilled spindle.
    Yes, I have the same style as you. The trailer is very solid and has had no issues yet but I recently started towing a longer trips and wanted to look into my options on replacing the hubs/bearings for peace of mind. I am going to reach out to Dexter and see if they sell the complete hub/bearing assembly that I could just bolt on. The needle fitting for my grease gun that I have is more like the size of a golf tee than a needle and I can't seem to get it to insert into very far into the spindle. How far does the needle need to be inserted into the spindle?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    Yes, I have the same style as you. The trailer is very solid and has had no issues yet but I recently started towing a longer trips and wanted to look into my options on replacing the hubs/bearings for peace of mind. I am going to reach out to Dexter and see if they sell the complete hub/bearing assembly that I could just bolt on. The needle fitting for my grease gun that I have is more like the size of a golf tee than a needle and I can't seem to get it to insert into very far into the spindle. How far does the needle need to be inserted into the spindle?
    You have the correct setup. The needle doesn't actually insert into the end of the spindle. The is only a slight amount of relief in the center of the spindle that allows you to locate where the needle needs to be held in order to pump grease.

Check out Eastern Marine

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSComanche View Post
    You have the correct setup. The needle doesn't actually insert into the end of the spindle. The is only a slight amount of relief in the center of the spindle that allows you to locate where the needle needs to be held in order to pump grease.
    OK, that's good. When I pump the grease it doesn't actually go into the spindle but just comes back out around the needle fitting. I guess there is a possibility that the passageway is clogged up. Would it cause any damage to stick something like a coat hanger in there to try to dislodge anything that is clogging the grease passageway?

9. Member
    Have you cleaned the end of the spindle to see if the grease fitting is intact; or it might be damaged from a previous owner being a Klutz. The grease fitting is very small and you have to get the tip of the needle greaser centered perfectly.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

I have seen them clogged before. Could just be old grease and you can use a wire and I have used an air hose

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    I have seen them clogged before. Could just be old grease and you can use a wire and I have used an air hose
    Ok, thanks for the info. I wouldn't be surprised if there is old grease clogging it up.

Spindle Size: 1-3/8" x 1-3/8" tapered
    Diameter: 9-3/4"
    Bolt circle:
    5 on 4-1/2"
    Inner Bearing: 1-3/8" (L68149)
    Inner Race: L68110 (Included)
    Outer Bearing: 1-3/8" (L68149)
    Outer Race: L68110 (Included)
    Seal: 1.68" ID x 2.56" OD
    Minimum Thickness: 17mm
    Finish: Plain

Brand: UFP Trailer Parts
    MPN: 42080U

Not 100% sure this is what you have but here are the bearing numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Jeff the thing you push the needle in is a Flush style Zerk fitting
    Learn something new every day! I just thought it was a hole drilled through the spindle.

As others noted, if there is old grease that is hardened inside the spindle, you can run a thin wire through it to loosen the old grease.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    I think that a lot of people removed the grease fittings over the years because they were finicky to lube.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

16. Member
    I will clean it up real good to check whether or not there is still a grease fitting or if it has been removed. If the fitting is still there will it cause damage to put a thin wire through it to clean out old grease that may be causing a clog?

92, i don't think has a grease fitting, it should be zerk (needle)
    My 87 has a regular type fitting. Yours should be just a tapered hole in the center of the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    92, i don't think has a grease fitting, it should be zerk (needle)
    My 87 has a regular type fitting. Yours should be just a tapered hole in the center of the spindle.
    Correct...no zerk fitting attached to the end of the spindle. That's why a needle fitting attachment to a grease gun is required.

19. Member
    Really Appreciate all the help on this one. I got the problem solved today. I used a thin wire to clear out the spindle passageways and was able to get fresh grease in both hubs, the old grease did not have any water in it. I found that the key is to maintain pressure on the hole with the grease gun and once I was able to get some new grease through the passageway everything was smooth sailing. Unfortunately my "drive in" grease caps are pitted pretty bad and after cleaning them up with a wire brush there is a pin hole in one of them from pitting so I sealed it up with gasket maker and have two new ones in the mail. From my limited trailer hub/bearing knowledge they appear to be in good shape so I am going to wait a year or so to replace them. Thanks again for the help everyone.

20. Member
    I replaced a hub on my 88 ranger trail single axel the other day. Mine has tapered spindles 1 3/8 to 1 1/16.
    I went to northern tool and bought a hub with bearings installed for 40$. Slipped it on and it fits like a charm.
    Ultra tow is the brand.