Multiple Issues Help

Bought a Ranger 2005 Z21 Comanche last season and little by little I am fixing things that need fixing. Here are a few items that I need assistance in troubleshooting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Water in the bilge. After a day of fishing when I undo the plug a good amount of water comes out of the bilge. I replaced the plug but to no avail. Any ideas?

2. Water in the compartment in front of the console. This seems to happen when running in choppier water. Can water be getting in from where the top cap is affixed to the bottom along the rub rail? If so, what is the remedy?

3. The electronics go off when I go to restart the boat. Is this a wiring issue or a computer issue?

4. Engine temperature gauge and speedometer are not working. Again, do they need replacing or is it a computer issue?

Thank you

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ll take a stab, but these questions aren’t easy.

1. What is a good amount of water? You could have an actual leak, or you could just be taking some water in the rigging holes when you launch and come off plane. Have you run your bilge pump during the day? Are we talking several gallons, or a quart or two? We need more information, but if there is an actual leak, you can start with a dry boat and get down in the bilge with a flashlight after you launch, to see where it’s coming in. You also can take a hose and pump 20 gallons of water into the bilge while it’s sitting on the trailer, to see where it comes out.

2. Typically only 2 ways water could get into this compartment: from the top, as when you are taking a lot of spray over the side, or from along the rub rail. If the latter, you can pull out that section if run rail and apply a heavy duty silicone filler/adhesive to secure the gap—or get it professionally repaired.

3. Electronics going off could be a wiring issue, potentially curable by wiring directly to the battery, but also (and more frequently) a battery issue. You haven’t said what engine you have, but some engines take all the amps a battery produces in order to start, leaving insufficient power to continue running electronics. The answer is a battery with additional amperage.

4. Conventional, water-powered speedometers seldom work on boats. Their pickup gets plugged very easily, and with today’s more accurate gas readings, they are not worth fixing. The engine temperature gauge itself might be bad, or the sensor on the engine that feeds it might be bad. Again, you haven’t said what type of gauge you have, but if you are getting power to the gauge, your issue probably is on either end, or both. A good engine mechanic can trouble-shoot for you, or your can throw parts at the issue.

Good luck! — JC

Quote Originally Posted by JCV73 View Post
    Bought a Ranger 2005 Z21 Comanche last season and little by little I am fixing things that need fixing. Here are a few items that I need assistance in troubleshooting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Water in the bilge. After a day of fishing when I undo the plug a good amount of water comes out of the bilge. I replaced the plug but to no avail. Any ideas?

2. Water in the compartment in front of the console. This seems to happen when running in choppier water. Can water be getting in from where the top cap is affixed to the bottom along the rub rail? If so, what is the remedy?

3. The electronics go off when I go to restart the boat. Is this a wiring issue or a computer issue?

4. Engine temperature gauge and speedometer are not working. Again, do they need replacing or is it a computer issue?

Thank you
    Last edited by jc2bg; 05-23-2018 at 06:09 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Banned
    Umm all that he said....

4. Member
    Thank you for the detailed reply.

1. I would a say two quarts or so of water in the bilge area. When you say I could have a leak are saying a crack in the fiberglass? I have tried looking at the bulge with a flashlight when boat was in water but couldn’t see anything. I don’t think it’s when I launch because I usually pump water out with the bilge pump.

I have ave a Yamaha HPDI 250 on back if that helps with the electronics question. I guess I should talk to mechanic about the water temp gauge.

Thank you again.

5. Member
    If its two quarts or two gallons in the bilge at the end of the day I would not give that a second thought. Livewell intake line or the pump itself are usually the main culprits on plumbing issues. You can get more water than a couple of quarts in your bilge just coming off of plane or having a fat boy like me fishing out of the back of the boat when the water is choppy.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Lol. What Tom said!

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    If its two quarts or two gallons in the bilge at the end of the day I would not give that a second thought. Livewell intake line or the pump itself are usually the main culprits on plumbing issues. You can get more water than a couple of quarts in your bilge just coming off of plane or having a fat boy like me fishing out of the back of the boat when the water is choppy.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Where the rub rail ends at the rear of the boat and the plastic cap starts is where my boat takes a little water. The factory used silicone and when I resealed the rub rail I could not get enough in there with the plastic cap in place.
    05 Z21 Ranger Mercury 250 Verado
    13 Z520C Ranger Mercury 250 Pro Verado

8. Member
    I'd opt for the rub rail leaking around the compartment and if you only have 2 quarts of water in the bilge I wouldn't really worry about that. Also remember your cooler drains into the bilge so if you have ice in it and it melts it's going to go into the bilge

9. Banned
    Like all said above. Throw a bar of soap in the bilge. That little bit of water will clean it every time your out. My electronics shut off when my battery was weak after a few hours of fishing.

10. Member
    I had a leak in my splash Well. Took it off put a bead of silicone about a half lunch inward and in the screw holes.
    Also put a bead around the live well at the very top. When you come off plane come off slowly if you do it right you won't hardly get any in the splash well.
    Try different things until it stops. You will get it eventually. Just a pain.
    Good luck.

I have had my electronics shut off after starting the boat. Come to find out it was the battery getting low. My boat only has a 2 bank charger for the trolling motor batteries. The cranking battery is supposed to charge when running I guess. Mine is a 97. Back then we didn't have the huge fish finders and everything constantly running. Once I got a new battery I don't have the issue anymore. I am going to upgrade to a 3 bank charger though so it doesn't start again. I currently have to unhook the charger and switch it over to the cranking battery to charge.

12. Member
    All good advice, but I will add a couple things. I have a 2007 Z21i and 250 HPDI, had similar issue with electronics and bought the largest Optima starting battery I could find and 3 years later still no more issues. On my boat the ice chest in on port side in front of the passenger console and it drains into the bilge. I also have a seat post hole in between my consoles that drains into the bilge.