Any good way to free up sticky steering?

BILs champion has the old original dual cable steering still on it, and its real tight, like damn near froze...i told him seastar time, but is there any way to free em up at all??

New cables is the only answer I know of .... or your idea, Seastar.

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Replace cables, or do the smart thing and take the opportunity to upgrade to SeaStar hydraulic.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Kinda what i figured, thx all

Shop and disconnect cables at motor - hook up a pressure outfit to force lube thru (seems to be a favorite combined recipe according to the guy that did mine). He couldn't guarantee how long would last but I ran it 3-4 years before swapping boats. Think he charged me like $25.

I used an air compressor to force some Marvel Mystery oil in mine. The first cable I couldn't force the air into, but the second allowed the oil to flow all the way to the helm (put some towels down to catch the oil under your helm). I had to replace the cable which wouldn't take the lube (about $100), but the other one worked out fine. You can turn my outboard lock to lock now with your pinky finger. Personally, I prefer dual cable steering to hydraulic, as it is redundant and very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I used an air compressor to force some Marvel Mystery oil in mine. The first cable I couldn't force the air into, but the second allowed the oil to flow all the way to the helm (put some towels down to catch the oil under your helm). I had to replace the cable which wouldn't take the lube (about $100), but the other one worked out fine. You can turn my outboard lock to lock now with your pinky finger. Personally, I prefer dual cable steering to hydraulic, as it is redundant and very accurate.
    same issue years ago-- one cable was locked up and could not get anything through it..finally removed the cable laid it out flat where I could start tapping on it with a light hammer, after several days of keeping pressurized solvent to it she broke loose.

8. Member
    Replace Cables. You can take the time and labor to try and free it up, and you might be successful, but you'll still likely have corrosion somewhere inside your steering link to your outboard.

9. Member
    Some take a hose that'll fit over the cable end, clamp it to the cable, add lube and point it up. Pressurize with air.

Thanks every body, we are gonna try a couple things first for him before we give up completely