Ranger 354v bow eye and lower unit

Looking for some input on a couple things.
    Have an 89 354v, and noticed today when wincing down the bow eye, that it's got about a millimeter of play, and some chipping at the aft portion of the bow eye (front tow hook). Should I be concerned? How can I repair?

Also, motor is a 1995 mercury xri 150 Serial # 0G144642
    What lower unit do I need.(gear ratio, shaft length, rotation etc) Thinking of replacing it.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Not an expert on maintenance of that engine, but the bow eye is a simple fix. It attaches with 2 nuts inside the hull. Remove those, and carefully pull the eye out of the hull. Then take to your nearest marine supply, like a West Marine store, get a replacement (has to have the same bolt spacing, but doesn’t need to be the same design), silicone well, and reinstall. If there is play in the eye, eventually it will start to leak, and movement under pressure could damage the hull.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Any good tips on ho to access the indie of the hull to get to the bow eye?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Yes, remove the bow panel.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    The panel with switches at the front of the boat right?

6. Member
    Yes, you should be able to take that panel off and reach in to access the bow eye. Make sure your power is turned off, some of those switches and contacts will probably be live.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

7. Banned
    I really hate silicone use on boats, I would recommend 3m 4200 instead of silicone. Do not use 5200 as it is considered permanent.

As for the job, do as recommended above however I would add check the bow area for damage/softening and reinforce the bolt area with stainless or aluminum plate before reassembling.

8. Member
    Will do. A piece of aluminum shaped to the inside of the hull do the trick? Bed it in glass?

9. Banned
    An aluminum plate should do, I would not bed it in with glass. You could use a bit of 4200 to hold the plate in place if you like, the tension from the bolts will keep it from moving.

10. Member
    Ok thanks for your help. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but this is my first boat so I'm still learning the do and donts.