Opti 200 Tach Issue

I have a 1994 Opti 200 on my Ranger 195. It has about 400 hours on it without a single problem. This morning while running at what I know to be 4,500 Rpms based on experience, I noticed the dashboard tach said 6,000. I then noticed the tach was bouncing all over from 4,000 to 6,500 RPMs, with no change in speed or sound. The motor is running steady, but the tach is wigging out. Can tachs malfunction? Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Member
    yes can check all wire connections , you sure that's an opti and not EFI, got ser number????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Look at the back of the tach....there is a dip switch...remember it's location....move it to the left and right a couple of times...then put it back to it's factory position......common problem...do a search

4. Member
    ^^^^^ agree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Yes, it's an Opti. I think Opti's rolled out in 2001? Excellent info on resetting the tach, John. Thank you very much.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I have a 1994 Opti 200 on my Ranger 195.
    please try 3.0L section with ser number