Evinrude Etec 50 trim issue

I have an intermittent trim issue where the motor will tilt up but not down. Happened again this morning when loading up at the house to leave for the lake. Thinking it could be a faulty trim relay but not too sure. Any guidance on what to try or do to diagnose the problem would be appreciated. Model# E50DPGLAGA Serial#05424521. I would prefer not to drag it 60 miles to the nearest repair guy if it's something simple I could fix.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Do you have multiple trim switches on your boat? Does this do it from all trim switches? Many times it is the trim switch on the bow, it gets wet and "shorts" out from the moisture until it dries out. Easiest way to test that would be to remove the bow panel and pull off the red wire on the trim switch. If it is the relay you can order one online shop the www for part number 0586767 that is the trim relay and wiring harness.

3. Member
    When it acts up, none of the trim switched will put it down. There is one on the motor, throttle, and bow. Makes me believe the problem has to be somewhere towards the motor. I left for a few hours yesterday and came home and the motor trims down fine now so I don't know.