Removing paint from crankbaits

Hey gang! I know this is probably a very basic question but I have never done this, so I wanted to ask the experts.

I have got some crankbaits that I am wanting to send of to be painted and am wondering what is the best way to remove the old paint without messing up the bait? I watched a video on YouTube where a guy used 70% isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. Will this do the job?

I've got to be careful b/c some of these baits are no longer in production and have been some really good lures. Thanks for any and all suggestions!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

Most don't strip off the old paint... Just re prime and re paint.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Wow ok, didn't realize that. That kinda interesting, I have two guys that I've spoken with about painting my baits and both of them have said they would prefer the baits to not have paint. Both said they would take off old paint jobs but would have an upcharge for each bait.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

4. Member
    There is no need to remove the paint unless you are talking about a super sensitive suspending bait and even then it probably won't make a difference.

5. Member
    How do you guys remove the paint?
    I would like to remove the paint off one of my 190 Whopper Ploppers and make it clear.

6. Member
    Try windex

7. Member
    If your talking about Plastic baits , With re-paints most painters just scuff them up , Ive heard of people trying paint thinners ECT and they have ended up melting the plastic.

8. Member
    Most of the real bait painters use soda blasters (like a sandblaster on a much smaller scale) to remove old clear coat and paint.. they can do this without harming the bait it's self whatsoever .. depending on the upcharge I would allow them to remove the old clear and paint.. Some painters prefer to start with a clean slate instead of the sand and paint over the existing method.. Just depends on each individual painter and how they prefer to work..

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewood2 View Post
    There is no need to remove the paint unless you are talking about a super sensitive suspending bait and even then it probably won't make a difference.
    I've removed paint off plastic body lures by submerging them in degreaser. I think it took a day or two to get all the paint off.