Best children’s cough meds

My son is 3 yr old. We took him to the doctor Thursday with a 103 fever. They said it was all viral. The last two days he’s coughed his head off. The doctor will not call him anything in. I’m about to blow my top because they want do so. He just needs to rest and can’t because of coughing. Zarbees and hylands isn’t working worth a crap.

2. Member
    I would get him another Doctor. There is no sense in the little Guy being that sick. without the Doc helping.

3. Banned
    A cup of warm water with a couple spoonfuls of honey and a little lemon juice. Have him sip on that and see if it helps.

4. Banned
    Agree with the above about going to another doc... otherwise Children's Delsym Cough 12 hour... it's for ages 4 and up. Doesn't have a fever reducer in it, but it has helped my boy when he has been sick and coughing

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterj01 View Post
    My son is 3 yr old. We took him to the doctor Thursday with a 103 fever. They said it was all viral. The last two days he’s coughed his head off. The doctor will not call him anything in. I’m about to blow my top because they want do so. He just needs to rest and can’t because of coughing. Zarbees and hylands isn’t working worth a crap.
    Give him some children's benadryl with a humidifier in his room my little girl went through the same thing when she was little Benadryl does something as a suppressant and will not eliminate but will dramatically help Plus their head needs to be elevated slightly in order to keep them from laying down flat. A nurse once told me that Benadryl wold work and it did help alot

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet20vee View Post
    A cup of warm water with a couple spoonfuls of honey and a little lemon juice. Have him sip on that and see if it helps.
    We have tried it all and this is what has helped the most. My son was a chronic crouper from about 2-6 years old. Coughing is one of the worst things to deal. It’s so irritating for the parents and the kids but honestly it doesn’t hurt the children as bad as it sounds. We survived about 4 years off it. The main thing is that they get sleep so sometimes a prescription cough syrup will help with that, but not always. Good luck, sicks kids can be tough as a parent so hang in there!

My 3 year old granddaughter just went to the ER this morning. Temp, coughing, Bumps inside of her mouth. Really bad Virus (cold) and a double ear infection. If her mom ( nurse) can't force her to drink a lot of fluid the next few days---- the Dr. Recommended admitting her to the hospital.

8. Member
    If he is able to take the taste the original Ricola cough drops in the yellow package work great.

Only thing smarter than a Dr. is TWO DR.'s .

10. Member
    Vick’s vapor rub on soles of feet- no joke , give it a shot

Is the cough productive/rattling or dry?
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    They won’t call anything in because nothing really works. Most children’s cough medicines have been taken off the market because they do not work. Raise their heads and give plenty of fluids.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    My wife’s a pediatric flight nurse at our children’s hospital downtown. We have twin girls, 9 years old.
    -
    Ever since they met the age restrictions on the bottle; we gave CVS brand grape flavor multi-symptom liquid (berry flavor sucks, grape is the way to go; they never minded taking it). Coupled with a humidifier in their room running full tilt all night. Follow the directions to the letter.
    -
    Good luck; those are tough times with a sick little one like that in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    They won’t call anything in because nothing really works. Most children’s cough medicines have been taken off the market because they do not work. Raise their heads and give plenty of fluids.
    Thats categorically false. They were "taken off the market" (actually just revised labeling with no indication for under 4 years old) because of inappropriate usage/overdosage. Significant Adverse reactions/deaths due to overdosage of stuff used to treat mild symptoms. FDA felt that the risk was not worth the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by motomania View Post
    My wife’s a pediatric flight nurse at our children’s hospital downtown. We have twin girls, 9 years old.
    -
    Ever since they met the age restrictions on the bottle; we gave CVS brand grape flavor multi-symptom liquid (berry flavor sucks, grape is the way to go; they never minded taking it). Coupled with a humidifier in their room running full tilt all night. Follow the directions to the letter.
    -
    Good luck; those are tough times with a sick little one like that in the house.
    Respectfully submit that multi symptom products should be avoided, especially in Peds.

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    Thats categorically false. They were "taken off the market" (actually just revised labeling with. no indication for under 4 years old) because of inappropriate usage/overdosage. Significant Adverse reactions/deaths due to overdosage of stuff used to treat mild symptoms. FDA felt that the risk was not worth the benefit.
    if the worked, they’d still be available. https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/c...w-guidelines#1

Note the quote “don’t really help”
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    if the worked, they’d still be available.
    If they worked SAFELY, they'd still be on the market. Effectiveness is well documented, safety with the the general public doing the dosing however, is not.

X2. Our ped recommended this. Works pretty good.

19. Member
    Mucinex is your friend. I assume the fever broke. If not, you need a second opinion, time now.