Banned

Educate me on 5th wheels please.

I was originally looking to buy a second house but I知 not fond of the property taxes that come along with it. So I知 thinking with a trailer I could visit different lakes over the years and leave the trailer at a campground for a few months at a time.

The prices that I知 looking at range from (new trailers) $35k-$60k. Are trailers in this range junk?

I have a f350 with a 15,700 max tow rating, are most trailers in this range or do I need to look for the lightest models?

How long do the roofs tend to last before leaks start to appear?

How much is your electric bill with one in a hot summer & winter, are they horribly insulated?

What kind of maintenance is required every year?

Is it worth getting one that has washer/dryer connections? I think I壇 prefer the simplicity of keeping clothes in the trailer.

Do campground have sewer connections at every spot or do you have to haul the trailer to a waste station every couple days? Or is this dependent on the campground or am I crazy for thinking that every spot would have sewer connections?

Is it stupid to buy one?

Anything else I've missed? Campgrounds around here are $300 per month, am I dumb for considering this?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Building a house as light as possible and then dragging it down the road at high speed guarantees things will break and fail.

Your truck should handle most 5th wheels. Pin weight and payload along with RAWR tend to be limiting factors.

Quality isn’t great on any of them, but at the $40K price point they are okay.

Most campgrounds don’t meter electricity, but some do. At $300 a month I’d be surprised if you get much as far as hookups.

Insulation isn’t great.

Sewer connections depend on the campground and site.

Washer and dryer connections depend on your preference.

Roof life depends on many things. Weather and exposure are big. You need to check the roof annually and make sure everything is sealed. Don’t use the wrong sealant or you can destroy the membrane.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    You can get a nice trailer in the range you want.

You have to watch tongue weights, that's usually the issue.

Roofs are better than they used to be. If you drag it under trees, check it. I had a friend redo his roof a few years ago on a 10 yr old trailer with Rhino-Liner for only $2800. I've sold my son a 20 year old camper, that never had a roof issue. I've heard of 3 yr old campers needing a new roof.

If you get one, get it with a northern insulation package. I've been in older twin ac trailers that just barely kept it 75 when its 95 out. I was in a 35' single ac, R52 insulated unit last year when it was 98 out, it was as comfortable as the house. Whenever possible, try and reserve lots with shade.

A lot of campgrounds have sewerage at the site. State and federal campgrounds tend not to.

Not very many places charge for actual electrical usage. I wouldn't worry about that. Taking care of an rv isn't that complicated. Check the roof, wash it from time to time, learn how and when to empty the black and gray tanks, etc.

I would definitely want a washer and dryer. The dryers for rv's are slower to dry, so it takes more time, but you're on vacation so time is there.

You aren't crazy at all.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

4. Banned
    The answers you got on your questions is right on.Nope you are not crazy.Wife and I have been living in a 35' Cardinal 5th wheel for 7 yrs,and she is holding up fine.

5. Member
    We are thinking of buying one ourselves first of the year. One consideration for used versus new is the warranties. I haven't checked it out, and haven't looked in years, but a co-worker just bought a travel trailer and said a lot of the warranties won't transfer. Doesn't quite sound right, but you may save on a used but not get a warranty. When I bought a new one 20 yrs ago, warranties did transfer on that one.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

6. Banned
    Thank you guys for the info!

To be honest, I’ve had terrible luck with anything used that I’ve bought. I’d rather waste the $$$ and have full warranties.

Question though and it didn’t cross my mind earlier. I have a long bed truck, but I have a extra wide top mount/rail toolbox for all my tools (work in construction). Would I have to remove the toolbox to haul a 5th wheel or would I have to buy a slide hitch? This might greatly change my mind on the style of camper that I can purchase.

7. Banned
    We have a 36' fifth wheel trailer left in storage.in the North Georgia mountains. Costs me $32.50 a month for secure storage in a member owned campground. I call ahead and they move on and off a campsite for $30. Mine has 4 slides and a bunk house (2nd bedroom.) It weighs 11k lbs with 2k lbs. kingpin weight and is technically a mid size unit.

RVs don't require being hooked to electricity when not in use. I would think the roof has a 20 year or so lifespan. My trailer is now 3 years old and I just replaced a kitchen faucet. Other than that, I have spent nothing on repairs. Just keep it clean.

We are fortunate to have such a great campground to keep it in. Yearly service fees are $420 a year but I can stay 14 days per month for free--including utilities, wifi and cable television.

Such a fifth wheel will have a list price in the $60's But can be bought in the mid $40's new. They are also available on the used market for fair prices. They are a great alternative to lake houses in our town starting around $350k.

8. Member
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225