Question about SHOSaid fourstroke needed to Erin hard

Was recently at local Yamaa shop. One guy, seasoned mechanic, said I should run my 250 SHO at or near WOT.

Said fourstroke needed o be run as hard as conditions would allow.

thoughts?

2. Member
    At or near wot for 10 min or more at least once per trip to get it good and hot? Sure. Always? Nah. It's true that 4 strokes need to be beat on to seat the rings good but once your rings are properly seated I see no reason to try to run it as fast as possible all the time. You're asking for trouble trying to run it as fast as possible all the time, especially now that it's pleasure boat season.

3. Member
    They need to be run hard to get to operating temp on a bass boat. The worst thing you can do to a fourstroke is not bring it up to temp. A outboard has a unlimited supply of cold cooling water and stats that open at 140 degrees. So you have a cold engine with cold cooling water and a boat that will run 60 mph and a 2 mile long lake at best with stats that open way early. So 45 seconds maybe between stops and a engine that is not building any kind of heat unless it is loaded at speed. Then throw in junk fuel and in a lot of cases old junk fuel and oil that never get warm enough to get rid of moisture. Starting to see what a truly ugly life a bassboat engine sees. How many failures do you hear of SHO's on pontoons or offshore boats, very few because they are run up to temp and held there for awhile. If these engines had closed loop cooling and overheating when turned off was not a issue they could be ran hotter solving a lot of problems. Anyway IMHO a bassboat engine has the toughest life possible. Heck if you could run it at half throttle for 20-30min it would be better than most of these engines see. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.