Question about my ultrex

Hey guys new to the forum and have a question about my ultrex and wanted to ask to see if this is normal or not before I call Johnson outdoors. When i hit spot lock on my unit it will hold me there however the boat will drift 180* around to the other side. I have the gps puck mounted up next to the unit and have it calibrated per the install instructions. My question is, is this normal or should it hold me facing a the direction Im facing when I locked it? I under stand it says keeps you within 3’ but is kinda a pain in the butt when you lock it and are trying to fish a lay down and the boat spins around and you have to flip sides or take back over to keep your partner or the back of the boat from getting into something.

any advise would be greatly appreciated, like I said just trying to figure out if this is normal or if I should make the call to Johnson and see if my gps unit might be bad or something.

thanks in advace
    Ray

Your Spot Lock is going to hold the trolling motor (and the front of the boat)within 3', not the whole boat. If there's current or wind the boat will swing around and face the current or wind. Sounds like what your boat is doing is absolutely normal!

The Ultrex is an amazing piece of technology but it still has to abide by the laws of physics

Imagine your boat is a flag and the flag pole is the Ultrex you can put that pole any place you want and it will stay there but the flag will always face into the wind

Just use your jog button to move to the side of the mark or down wind of it
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Perfect, thanks guys just wasn’t sure with it having the gps puck if it would keep you facing the direction you locked it on or not. Other then that love the TM.

Thanks for the reply guys.

5. Member
    It's not a GPS puck, it's a heading sensor, aka electric compass. It tells the trolling motor which direction it's facing so when you use the jog feature the trolling motor knows which way to go. The above answers are correct on "boat drift".
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    It's not a GPS puck, it's a heading sensor, aka electric compass. It tells the trolling motor which direction it's facing so when you use the jog feature the trolling motor knows which way to go. The above answers are correct on "boat drift".
    I have gotten where I almost prefer to fish off the back deck of my boat when on spot lock. Let the trolling motor hold you on the other end with the prop stirring up the water 20 feet behind me. I can stand back there with plenty of room and just fish. You also get some interesting looks from the people driving by.

I fished a tournament this last Saturday in some steady West Texas wind. Was fishing off the back deck most of the day.