Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Remember Greg Hackney's DQ from the Cayuga Elite tournament in 2016. He got penalized by fishing a man made Marina on Cayuga which is a glacier lake. All 11 off limit marinas were disclosed before the tx started. But it is easy to lose track of what is a manmade Marina or basin versus their natural counterparts.

On New York’s glacier lakes, state law says all man-made marinas and boat basins are private property. There are 11 such areas on Cayuga Lake.

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/anglers-react-hackneys-first-round-dq
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by OHellnofishin View Post
    NY state rules states IIRC if its navigable its legal; they cannot make it private if its run off the waterway...Same with marinas/gas docks. The off limits is based on tournament discretion and that sign means approximately squat last i knew UNLESS laws have changed or it was written into the tournament rules. That stated if it was me id have not fished it either.
    ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    It wasn’t easy to find but this is, in fact- 100% spot on!
    like I said- I know little about this stuff, but as the new guy, fishing on the other side of that sign..... I was sure questioning his actions. He really didn’t do anything wrong. I assumed that being private property and a sign, that it MUST be off limits (to by own demise this time). He was within his rights to fish it and within the rules. I’m not sure who the TD spoke with before answering my inquiry but whoever it was didn’t know factually that it is legally navigable waters and a legitimate location to take fish.

again, thanks to everyone. I feel a little better knowing that I was a dumb ass 15 yards away from the LUNKER. Lesson learned for me that’s for sure.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Stories like this remind me why I no longer fish tournaments.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    You were within 10 yards of him? wow, that’s close. Sounds like both of you were trying for an advantage in the canal area. He was just a little more adventurous. Around here there is a no wake area on a river that has evening tournaments. Some guys blow through it some idle. If you get a ticket you are DQed that night. Guys that idle and passed don’t say anything at weigh in.
    Your scenerio is just a prime example why so many quit club fishing.
    You mean because some people think the rules don't apply to them, right??
    At least we had 1987....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234