Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Erratic depth fix?

Anyone have any thoughts. Up fishing shallow water and every few minutes my helix reads from 3 fow to 30 in under 7 fow. Tried raising the surface clutter to ten and sensitivity to 1 and neither have any effect. Meanwhile my 998 doesn’t skip a beat. WTH ?

thanks

Give Humminbird a call about it. They need to keep hearing from people with this problem.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

I’m seeing the same issue with my Helix 10 Mega.I updated this spring prior to first launch. Dont recall any issues last year. I’m not saying its definitely from the update but sure seems likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Give Humminbird a call about it. They need to keep hearing from people with this problem.
    Yeah, I think that's what I need to do too. My Helix 10 SI Mega on the TM is jumping around even in deeper water. The other day, it was jumping from 13 to 17 to 40 something then back to 7...13...17. I stepped back and checked the Helix 7 on the console and it was reading 13'.
    I don't have too much of an issue with it going a little crazy in 2' or 3' but not over 4' or 5'.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

My Helix 10 on the bow with transducer mounted on the trolling motor does the same thing. It drives me crazy. It jumps depths all over the place even in deeper water like 15 feet or more. I'll be long line trolling for crappie in a 15ft deep bay that is flat as a pancake and all of a sudden it will jump to 95ft, then back to 15ft, then to 88ft, then back to 15 feet. Makes no since to me. I wish I could get my money back and just go back to the lowrance units I had.

6. Member
    Search function is your friend. There’s a post called false depth readings that has the answers

7. Member
    Mine reads good but actually loses bottom suddenly and reads only 1.9’ while I’m in 20’ plus of water. Sometimes it comes back right away and other times I need to restart the unit. Crap
    Nitro z21

8. Bob G's pool boy
    I can't believe you spoiled babies want depth from a sonar unit.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

Does it seem to have gotten worse after the last update?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

10. Member
    I don’t have the problem any more. If you look at the post I’m talking about it pretty much solves most of the problems it’s the erratic readings post if I knew how to link it I would

11. Banned
    I just updated mine and had problems with it the first time out. It was fine before the update.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=901342

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Does it seem to have gotten worse after the last update?

12. Member
    It was just as bad before the update as it is now. Tried the surface filter to 7 and turned the other thing to -5 on the 83 cone . Why is my 998 not having an issue. It’s a big safety concern for sure

Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    It was just as bad before the update as it is now. Tried the surface filter to 7 and turned the other thing to -5 on the 83 cone . Why is my 998 not having an issue. It’s a big safety concern for sure
    Try turning off the 83 Khz as a troubleshooting measure

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Agree with Bob turn off 83khz so the unit is pinging 200khz or high chirp only. Is the unit that you are seeing this on a trolling motor? If so try turning the noise filter up, that may improve this. There are updates coming that will help.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

15. Member
    In my situation of actually losing depth my surface setting is 7 I’m on 200khz or high chirp I’ve had sensitivity adjusted all over.
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts. Up fishing shallow water and every few minutes my helix reads from 3 fow to 30 in under 7 fow. Tried raising the surface clutter to ten and sensitivity to 1 and neither have any effect. Meanwhile my 998 doesn’t skip a beat. WTH ?

thanks
    The receiver is overdriven....Go to advanced User Mode> Sonar tab and scroll way down and set the Sensitivity Offset to 7. Then it should lock on the bottom.

17. Member
    Ok will try that ASAP!

18. Member
    You still may have problems in shallow water with the 83 kHz beam on in 10 ft or less on a really hard bottom .
    I have 83 kHz turned off surface at 7 sensitivity on 2 d at around five imaging switch fire set clear and switch fire on 2 d clear All these to help with my problem but the biggest difference was turning the 83 kHz beam off

19. Member
    I just updated mine last week and it is doing the same thing with the depth. It never did it until I updated them.
    "2000 Cobra 190DC, 2017 200 ProXs"

20. Member
    I've gone all through my menu on my helix 10 si g2n and I don't see how to turn off 83khz. I've got the high speed transducer with the correct y cable. Can someone describe where it is or take a photo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast