Banned

Question Gas springs for storage lids

Can you have too much output force (what Attwood is calling boost) My current rod locker lid springs are rated at 40lbs but can be ordered anywhere between 20lbs and 120lbs. The 40's are barely enough to keep the lid open and if it rains, with the added weight on the carpet, the springs won't hold the lid open. I'm wondering if I should order 60lbs, 80lbs, or even more. Thoughts? http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p...em-gas-springs

2. Member
    I don’t think going up one size will hurt but the fiberglass mounts will only withstand just so much stress. My VX 518 had a twenty on the center locker and I went to a forty,no problems yet. Be aware that the pistons do lose pressure over time too. If a forty won’t hold a rod locker lid,I would guess the old piston is weak. Replace with the same.

My buddies Charger 210 has the same issue. I was thinking it was the padding getting soaked through but I would think the carpet padding is closed cell.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I don’t think going up one size will hurt but the fiberglass mounts will only withstand just so much stress. My VX 518 had a twenty on the center locker and I went to a forty,no problems yet. Be aware that the pistons do lose pressure over time too. If a forty won’t hold a rod locker lid,I would guess the old piston is weak. Replace with the same.
    Lund is all aluminum, no 'glass. I'm sure they are worn out, but they never could support the lid when the carpet was waterlogged.

5. Member
    Then I would go up one size but not double it. Those things are really strong,try to compress a good forty. It can be done but it’s not easy.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    as long as it will hold go to a 60 and you should be fine also make sure you have them mounted the correct way.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

If you get too strong, the lids may not stay closed unless latched.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

8. Member
    Not to Hi- Jack this thread , but is there a way to mount struts to a rod locker that has none? my Stratos does not have any.