Sonar source not found - solution yet??

Anyone find a solution for this yet?

Here's the most recent thread Source not found

I have 2 Gen 1 Helix 10's. DI on the bow and SI at console. When I try to to link them the dreaded popup "Sonar/SI/Temp (pick one) source not found." Tried the rebooting sequence - didn't work. Since the update and running the units a few times now that fishing season has started the problem is back.

I'll post pics once I get them off my SD card.

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    Didn't see that one. I'll try it tomorrow. Today's a washout. It's been raining all day.
    I'll check back later....

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    That one should do it....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    Update...

Took apart the connector on each unit and plugged in the cables individually. Performed the linking procedure per the referenced thread. Thought I had it going good until I tried scanning different views on my DI bow unit. At that point "i-Pilot disconnected" appeared on top of the screen and the "sonar source lost" popup came back. I pulled the ethernet connection again and started over. The second I time I think the procedure worked. Played around with a bunch of views, shook the units a few times trying to mimic wave action, pressed buttons very quickly, etc... and everything seems to be ok. Granted it's in my backyard - I'm going to try to get on the water tomorrow and see how everything goes.

After resetting the IP address, the interesting part I found is how the units talk to each other and the ethernet switch when they're in the boot up linking process. I turn them on one right after the other (it doesn't matter which one first). As they're booting/linking up, the "sonar source lost" popup appears on each unit.

I exit out of the popup (don't press the Yes/No buttons - use the exit button) on each unit and then after about 20 seconds the screen flickers to a default view.

On my DI unit, when it finally links, the view defaults back to the Mapping view. On my SI unit, when it links up, the default view is either the full SI view or Mapping view.

This whole process lasts about 2 minutes. When both units flicker and reset to the default view, at that point the units are linked together. Yes, it does take some time. You just can't start them up and start pressing buttons - that I think screws everything up.

While shutting down one of the units, the "sonar source lost" popup reappears on the unit that's still running, but that's because of the shutting down process. Exit out of the popup on the remaining powered up unit and it seems to run fine on its own.

On my units, there doesn't seem to be a "master" or "slave" unit. They both go thru the same process - it doesn't matter which one I start first. And with my Ultrex, it also doesn't matter when I turn that on. I turned it on before turning on the finders and after. It didn't make a difference. It takes about 15 -20 seconds and the "i-Pilot Connected" banner appears on top of the screen simultaneously on both units.

Like I said above, I tried to get the "sonar source lost" to appear once they were linked and couldn't simulate the fault. And I tried for over an hour. So all looks good for now. I've gone thru the manuals and don't remember reading anything like that for a boot up sequence... You guys know more than I do. Maybe you know something about it.

We'll see how it goes... thanks for the "HB Linking Up" link. If all goes well when I get out on the water I can post pics and some sort of procedure if you want me to and use it a solution for Helix Gen 1 units.
    Last edited by Jaydbee; 05-25-2018 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Clarify boot up process

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Yep - either exit on the pop up, or ignore it often goes OK...

Just takes time for IP acquisition.

Hope it goes fine OTW too.

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

7. Member
    Update II:

Got out on the water yesterday for a couple of hours. Everything seems to be running ok.
    So if anyone has the same issue with Gen 1 units:

1. Follow the "HB Linking Thread" to reset the IP address
    2. Try the boot up sequence in post #5 of this thread that I used to get my fish finders linked and running properly.

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

USA How to reset the IP addresses

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI