Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 250 Pro XS Damaged Float In Oil Resevoir

2010 250 Pro XS (1B776296). The other day my low oil alarm started going off, the typical 4 Beeps then pause. I checked and my engine mounted oil tank was completely full, but I bled it anyway by cracking the cap and running the engine. Still had the alarm. I also checked to be sure there wasnt any water in the fuel seperator, which there wasnt. So I assumed the sensor had gone bad, and jumpered it out to get back to the ramp. No Alarm after it was jumped. When I got home I removed the sensor and checked the continuity across it with a multimeter, while holding a magnet to the bottom of it, and low and behold the sensor is working fine. So I proceed to remove the engine oil tank and drain it to have a look at the internal float (which is hard to see through the tiny fill cap). And sure enough, I can see that the foam float is moving freely as it should, but the magnet has become detached and is not moving up and down with it. I really don't want to pay $150-$200 for a new one (or $50 for a used one on ebay and it be broken too), but I also don't want to be without the warning alarm. Has anyone ever had success re-attaching the magnet to the float?

There is a video on YouTube that shows how one guy fixed it. I had mine do the same thing last year and just bit the bullet and bought a new engine mounted oil tank.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

Youtube... I cant believe I didnt think of that. Much appreciated, and worth a shot.
    Here is the video if anyone else is interested.

4. Member
    Oh brother........I'll Pass on this hack.

I think the "Hack" is the fact that Merc would make the float switch un-changable. Thats pretty sorry of them. At what point does an engine cost enough that they don't have to do bush-league stuff like make a FLOAT SWITCH cost you that kind of money??

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clay-wallace View Post
    I think the "Hack" is the fact that Merc would make the float switch un-changable. Thats pretty sorry of them. At what point does an engine cost enough that they don't have to do bush-league stuff like make a FLOAT SWITCH cost you that kind of money??
    The switch is not "un-changable", but the float is.............The tank provides the LIFE BLOOD of the motor, and is under PRESSURE.......using SUPER GLUE in place of a sonic bonded, air tight, joint IS a "HACK". When the super glue pops under pressure, and hard wave impacts, and spews oil from the remote oil tank on the motor, and into the water, the first thought is going to be why didn't I buy a new tank.

Sure might save a fishing trip -- figure that could be done in the motel room at night -- get you back out the next day.
    Seems there has been a lot more with this problem.

I did it to mine last night. I used a heavy duty two part epoxy instead of super glue. Working good as new for now. Also, it seems to me to be far more likely for one of the zip ties holding the oil lines to the tank to break then for the epoxy to. Unless of course Mercury uses some of those special, super-duty, NASA engineered, dry rot proof zip ties on the "Life Blood" of their engines...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The switch is not "un-changable", but the float is.............The tank provides the LIFE BLOOD of the motor, and is under PRESSURE.......using SUPER GLUE in place of a sonic bonded, air tight, joint IS a "HACK". When the super glue pops under pressure, and hard wave impacts, and spews oil from the remote oil tank on the motor, and into the water, the first thought is going to be why didn't I buy a new tank.
    You're asking the wrong question... why does mercury continue to provide a p.o.s. at a premium price point?...why continue to produce a product that simply is junk?... I agree with the super glue but at the same time it's a mickey mouse product..
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

It is always a balance between cost and quality. This type of oil tank has been around a long time and has seen limited failures IMO. Besides, the oil tank is a thing if the past now.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clay-wallace View Post
    I did it to mine last night. I used a heavy duty two part epoxy instead of super glue. Working good as new for now. Also, it seems to me to be far more likely for one of the zip ties holding the oil lines to the tank to break then for the epoxy to. Unless of course Mercury uses some of those special, super-duty, NASA engineered, dry rot proof zip ties on the "Life Blood" of their engines...
    Mercury doesn't make the zip-ties and nylon zip ties will NEVER "dry rot", so absolutely no worries about the zip ties......epoxy on plastic, well that is a concern, but hey good luck to you!

I can't say I blame the guy for attempting a fix. The oil tank costed me quite a bit of money for such a small volume, plastic tank. Why would a failure in his fix automatically make the tank leak oil? Wouldn't it just make the float stop working again and in turn make his alarm go off again? Just curious.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X