175 pro xs starting issues

I have a 2016 175 pro xs, I bought it new last summer, got through the break in and now have about 16 hrs on it. Last two trips out it will start ok first thing but then if I stop to fish for a while and go to start it again it will either start and rev higher than normal and then die or just not fire at all, like it's not getting fuel, but if I keep turning it over for 10-15 seconds it will eventually start but really sluggish. Once running it idles and runs perfectly, I'd hate to take it in if its something I can fix easily myself, although it is still under warranty I don't want to take it to my local merc shop. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
    2016 Phoenix 618 Mercury 175 ProXS

2. Member
    Pump up the Primer Bulb, when the issue appears, and let us know if it makes a difference.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Pump up the Primer Bulb, when the issue appears, and let us know if it makes a difference.
    ^^^^^

For future posts use the 2.5L forum (what your engine is).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Yep, missed that.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses, I took the boat out again and had issues right away on the first start even after pumping/priming the bulb, it just turns over but doesn't want to fire, it will fire if I feather the throttle a little, and once running I'm noticing a hiccup or miss every few seconds. Still seems to run fine on plane and at all other speeds. I tried a brand new bulb and same results. I pulled a couple spark plugs and they were black but not terrible. I also noticed a bit of an oil slick in The water too but didn't see any oil leaking from anywhere on the motor? Any other ideas to try before I bring it to the shop?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    2B123497

8. Member
    Post on the other boards for more info. Your motor is not a 3.0 liter.

9. Member
    I realize that, when I made the original post I posted here because it is a pro xs and this forum gets way more traffic than the others so I thought I would get more responses but I guess not. I'd like to hear Dons opinion on this. If this post needs to be moved maybe don can move it to the correct forum, I don't think I have the ability to do that.
    Last edited by mikemac10; 05-30-2018 at 01:36 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm inclined to suspect that you have a breach in the fuel system somewhere that is dumping a lot of fuel to the engine. Fuel pump diaphrams, VST flooding, tracker valve, o-rings, other diaphrams, etc.

Since your engine is under warranty, it would be wise to get it in to an Authorized Mercury Dealer for inspection. That would normally start with the BASICS.

Moving your thread over to the 2.5L Forum for ya.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Thanks Don!

12. Member
    Dealer confirmed it was a failed tracker valve.

13. Member
    common problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................