Switching From Left To Right Hand Reels

Any of you guys ever switch from right to left handed reels? How hard was the transition? I ask because I'm right handed and use right handed reels. However due to an old injury in my left wrist I'm really starting to have some issues, specifically after a day of throwing reaction baits. The torque of the rod really gets me after a few hours and my wrist will stay swollen and sore for days. Thinking maybe switching reels might help.

2. Member
    Switching to lefty reels for you will be good.. I tell everyone they should do this .. use the opposite baitcaster for whatever hand is your dominant because there is less hand switching while casting . I'm a lefty and use all right handed gear for baitcasting
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

3. Member
    I went to left handed reels way back when Shimano came out with them and it was the easy

4. Scraps
    I've tried it the last couple of years. The issue I've had is my weak hand/arm, my right, is terrible holding the rod in the right. I was trying to spread the fatigue to both sides of my body. But I can cast left and right so it really doesn't matter. I caught a couple fish on the lefties, but my right hand coordination holding the rod was terrible. So I gave up. I don't have much time to fish so don't have a lot of time to experiment.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Switched over a few years back. After a couple of hours I asked myself why I didn't switch earlier. It might be a little annoying when you first start out, but it's more annoying to keep switching hands on every cast. And if you're pitching into weeds, a left-handed reel is so much easier.

My wife didn't want to take the time to learn so she kept her righty reels. When I go fishing by myself I use her setups also. I'm to the point now that I use both effortlessly.

6. Member
    It will take same time to learn/feel but nothing wrong with switching. Only gripe I've encounter is my hook set wasn't as good as when I was right hand retrieve so switched back to right hand. Spent 2 years with left and went back.

One advantage I'm looking forward to if I switch and I'm probably going to is not switching hands to cast/pitch, etc.

8. Member
    I use both left and right hand reels today. I started with right hand reels and made the switch to left handed reels on certain rods that I flip docks with and my frog/buzzbait rods. I like the lefty in those applications for immediate hooksets on flips and where I want to start moving the bait immediately like a buzzbait. For deep horizontal baits, I use right hand reels. Since I have been using both for years, switching hands is a non issue for me.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    One advantage I'm looking forward to if I switch and I'm probably going to is not switching hands to cast/pitch, etc.
    What I did was just taught myself to pitch left handed. Didn't take long. Whenever i went out and accuracy wasn't a big deal I'd pitch lefty. I've been better left handed for 10 yrs than right handed, and I'm right handed.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    I do both right for most things and left for worms & jigs.
    I am right handed and started fishing that way.
    In college I fished with a roommate who was a part time inshore fishing guide.
    99% of his reels were Abu Garcia red ones left hand or coffee grinders.
    He set me up a bucket in the apartment green space area where we lived and helped me practice casting.
    It took me a week to make the switch.
    This was back in the day when Abu Garcia 5000 or 4500 was the king of reels.
    Now 30 yrs later it is natural to use both.

11. Member
    it didnt take long for me to switch over because i had always used left handed spinning reels. its so much easier to work the bait with my dominant hand, i couldnt believe i didnt do it years before.

12. Member
    I always fished left ... and I’m right handed. Lots easier..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

Well fellas went fishing this morning for awhile. Before I made my first cast I switched all my spinning reels over to left hand just to see how it felt. It was really awkward at first but after a little bit I got somewhat comfortable. Still couldn't cast accurately or heaven forbid try to skip under a dock. Had to switch back to casting gear so I gave it up for the day. On a positive note the ol'bucket mouths were hungry this morning.

14. Member
    It takes time keep working at it. I have both left and right hand reels.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    Well fellas went fishing this morning for awhile. Before I made my first cast I switched all my spinning reels over to left hand just to see how it felt. It was really awkward at first but after a little bit I got somewhat comfortable. Still couldn't cast accurately or heaven forbid try to skip under a dock. Had to switch back to casting gear so I gave it up for the day. On a positive note the ol'bucket mouths were hungry this morning.

So your switching your casting hand, most people commenting were casting with their right then switch rod to left and reel with right... They switched like me to reeling with my left..... that is the common switch....

Your talking about casting left and reeling right? I dont think there are any responses above where anyone has done that.