Repower pro boats

I wonder how long it will take for any of the elite series pros to repower to the new 4 stroke Pro XS?

2. Member
    Don't they get new boats every year?
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wifish View Post
    I wonder how long it will take for any of the elite series pros to repower to the new 4 stroke Pro XS?
    About 2hrs..........

4. Scraps
    Don't really think tit's up to the pro. Merc is payin' the billz.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Surprisingly few of those guys are just given boats and motors. Since they would have to pay for it themselves, admittedly at a discount, I doubt many will move over this year. But, next year every Mercury pro will be running one cause it will be the only game in town.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    There are some Pro's that don't buy a brand new boat every year, just change the graphics, so what happens then? Does Mercury make them buy a new motor?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That remains to be seen. I suspect there may be a "winner's incentive" offered (Win "x" running a new 4-stroke and get "y": that would be a smart way for Merc to approach it, anyway).

Totally hypothetical statement, however.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Timmy Horton will be running a new 250 Pro XS 4S next year according to his facebook page
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

9. Member
    They can't change during the middle of a season they have to fish out of the same rig the whole year with the same type of motor and if a total happened then the new boat has to be rigged identical

I don't think that is correct...I believe you will be seeing the new four strokes on the back of pro boats here shortly...

11. Member
    KVD son has a new 200 on a Nitro Z19 he had in a post somewhere and he said they would be repowering his in the next couple weeks.

12. Member
    I'd think some of the big dogs will have one hung on their boat soon for marketing. Of course if they have issues on bass live it will be bad.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Would it ever be good?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassJP View Post
    They can't change during the middle of a season they have to fish out of the same rig the whole year with the same type of motor and if a total happened then the new boat has to be rigged identical
    That isn't right, if they want to re-power with another engine they can, no tour rules against it, what they can't do is go back and forth between their regular boat and an aluminum one. Plenty of guys went from optipops to SHO's when mercury was having failure issues, and Randall Tharp & Brett Hite both did it in the middle of the season. The timing of this new engine launch was odd but I bet you see some tour guys running the new mercs before seasons end.

16. Member
    Christie has been talking about a repower already as well
    Last edited by BassinR83; 05-25-2018 at 12:12 PM.

17. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Surprisingly few of those guys are just given boats and motors. Since they would have to pay for it themselves, admittedly at a discount, I doubt many will move over this year. But, next year every Mercury pro will be running one cause it will be the only game in town.
    The pros have different deals. They are independent contractors. Just like us who work in other vocations. Most don't get "Free" boats and motors every year. Likely, bonus pools for wins. It depends on the perceived value to the company. Some get 2 engines a year. Some get to buy engines, props etc at a deep discount. Some don't own the boat and motor. Lots of different deals. Check the state the boat is licensed for a clue. I suspect all will want to switch to the new engine ASAP if nothing more than to garner approval from their sponsor. For many, the sponsor is the source of the living and tournament winnings pay expenses.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    That isn't right, if they want to re-power with another engine they can, no tour rules against it, what they can't do is go back and forth between their regular boat and an aluminum one. Plenty of guys went from optipops to SHO's when mercury was having failure issues, and Randall Tharp & Brett Hite both did it in the middle of the season. The timing of this new engine launch was odd but I bet you see some tour guys running the new mercs before seasons end.
    I think the timing has to do with the go fast boaters. The high performance boat market is on fire. Mercs biggest outboard has been the 400r coming out of the racing division.

The market has been clamoring for more hp for those boats. They are getting 400hp out of the 6 cylinder and it weighs about 650 lbs. Yamaha came out with a 425 hp v8 and my guess they will up the hp on it soon. But it comes in at 400 lbs heavier. Might take some sales from Merc for the heavier salt water boats.

Miami boat show is in Jan or Feb. Bringing out the v8 now will allow time to work out any flaws. Plus I think they want to be able to put the motors on boats coming out at the boat shows next year, I am talking of the fishing or recreational boaters using the standard v8

The go fast boats take a long time to build. A lot of carbon fiber, Kevlar. Long lay up/cure time. You have to get the motors out to these guy sooner. The center counsel boats are hanging 4-5 motors and still want more hp. I would be real surprised is there is not a Merc 450r or even 500.