Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potomac Recovery Time

With a week of this rain, what is the prognosis on how long it will take the river to return to crap free condition once it stops?

We should refer to the river as the muddy mini Mississippi. We need the rain, but all at once like this sucks. It will be take a while to flush the crap downstream.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

I drove over the key bridge and 14th st bridge today and she is ROLLIN. It will be a while.
    Blue lives matter

wasn't bad down at Aquia today or yesterday. just stained some fish eating.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    Mattawoman and main river near it was stained....and fish were hungry today.

6. mikesxpress
    It's not so much about the rainfall amount locally as it is about the drainages upriver. We still have allot of rain in the forecast for this week here as does WV.

The lower Potomac that takes water in from the Rapp, York, etc.. has dropped in visibility to <1' and allot of flotsam filtering down. The Rapp in Fredericksburg was above flood stage yesterday and expected to crest even higher today.

7. Member
    Just drove over the 14th St bridge, what a muddy mess, water is moving very fast with tons of debris. I'm guessing this mess will finds its way downstream soon, the mouth of Mattawoman will probably be a mine field soon.

I took a walk on Saturday along the tow path up at dam 5 in clear springs Maryland. River is chocolate and very high with tons of debris.

9. mikesxpress
    Where Mike was at dam 5 is waaaay up there. And that's were the water quality issues start.

10. Member
    Well, I am going to give it a try on Thursday and may regret it, but hey, got to do it, but nothing stupid.

The turbidity was crazy, in the boils at the dam you could see the sediment in suspension. Tons of debris falling over the damn and then getting caught in the "washing machine" at the base of the dam. I don't know the exact distance but as the river flows what is at dam 5 has to be at least 2 days away. Mike, you can speak to better I am sure.

12. mikesxpress
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potomac_River

The river has two sources. The source of the North Branch is at the Fairfax Stone located at the junction of Grant, Tucker, and Preston counties in West Virginia. The source of the South Branch is located near Hightown in northern Highland County, Virginia. The river's two branches converge just east of Green Spring in Hampshire County, West Virginia, to form the Potomac.

13. Member
    Anyone have a current update? Planning on going out Friday

14. Member
    No go on Thursday. Damn, but nothing to do with the river.

15. Member
    I'm planning on going Friday as well. From what I've heard its muddy but still navagatable. Lots of floaters is the only thing that I'm worried about. You can always find a creek with some fishable water and they still got to eat.

16. Member
    Here's what it looks like at Tim's

http://timsrivershore.com/potomac-river-webcam/
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera II

17. Member
    Nasty.

18. mikesxpress
    More rain Sat-Mon.

19. Member
    Went out today. Pretty good bite from 0800-1030. At around 1100 my motor decided to eat its serpentine belt and I needed a tow back to smallwood.

20. Member
    Out this afternoon, water from Pohick to Piscataway was stained, guessing 8-12" visibility. Warmest water I found was 77 in the back of a creek out of the wind, most was 72-74. Wish me luck at the ramp tomorrow--will be fine launching early, coming in may be a different story.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast