Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Livewell question for you guys running oxygenators

I’m debating buying 2 t h marine oxygenators for my Stratos bass boat. I’m just wanting to see if they are worth the money. I have split live wells, so I’d be looking at $225-$250 ish. I’ve already installed the VT 2 livewell kids and have seen a huge improvement but want to do my best to keep fish alive as warmer water temps are coming. Are there any other options out there??? Also, my livewell doesn’t seem to bubble up like a lot of live wells that I’ve seen, can somebody explain this to me???

2. mikesxpress
    Lots of debates and data on these in multiple threads. Do a search.

3. Member
    After I read some test results that stated that with The oxygenator on without recirc on it added 0% dissolved oxygen to livewell. With recirc on it added 3.8%, which likely came FROM the recirc. I have not been a big fan since learning that.

4. Member
    I use an air pump and have one large stone in each livewell. In my experience it has made a big difference. Fish are always very lively.

5. huskyjerk
    The best way to increase the oxygen level in the water is to reduce the temperature. Colder water will always have a higher oxygen content.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    I use an air pump and have one large stone in each livewell. In my experience it has made a big difference. Fish are always very lively.
    Ive always used a pro air pump with 10" stones at the bottom of each well and have never had a problem.

7. Member
    Many other things you can do. Oxygenators are on the way out

8. Member
    Data has shown that Oxygenators don't work. Save your money. If you really want to get serious about adding dissolved oxygen, look into adding an O2 bottle to your boat. Or just run Recirculate constantly--not on the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyjerk View Post
    The best way to increase the oxygen level in the water is to reduce the temperature. Colder water will always have a higher oxygen content.
    Cold water does hold oxygen levels better than warm water but there comes a point where you can lower the water temperature too much and it can throw the fish into shock. A few degrees may not sound like a big number for humans but to a fish it can dramatically affect them. If a person catches one in real warm water and cools him down too much and releases him back into warm water it is a recipe for a dead floater the next day. I have read some information about this and if my memory is correct the study done says a *5 temperature change or less is not harmful but it's not enough to see a dramatic increase in O2 levels. Too really see an very noticeable increase in 02 levels you need water that is 10 or more degrees cooler and that is to much of a change in a short period to do catch and release. There is nothing wrong with cooling the water but just be aware fish are very sensitive to temperature change so only cool the water a small amount like 3-4 degrees.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Data has shown that Oxygenators don't work. Save your money. If you really want to get serious about adding dissolved oxygen, look into adding an O2 bottle to your boat. Or just run Recirculate constantly--not on the timer.
    This

If you fish brackish water you will need the g juice or you will produce chlorine gas and kill all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Ive always used a pro air pump with 10" stones at the bottom of each well and have never had a problem.
    I think the Pro Air pump and/or the recirc with Max Air is the way to go and is simple. The V-T2 livewell vents can't hurt either.

My boat came with the Pro Air and Max air. I added the livewell vents to keep them vented. I rarely use my livewells unless we decide to keep some white perch and they are very lively when I get home.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

13. mikesxpress
    Allot of these gadgets being marketed have no 3rd party independent testing to prove they work. IMO an adequately designed livewell system will provide what is needed. Addition of a catch & release type additive in recirculation mode occasionally is also a good option at times. Adding very small amounts frozen water bottles (as noted above) to drop the well water temp is not a good option due to the shock factor of the addition and also the subsequent release of the fish.

14. Banned
    Last edited by coachallen; 05-20-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Fresh water, there is no substitute!!!
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

16. Member
    Cooling the livewell water is really important. If you catch fish deep in the summer, the water is much cooler in 10 plus feet of water than it is on the surface. By cooling the water you are more closely matching the water temperature that the fish came from.
    Plus by cooling the water it prevents the water from overheating in the livewell.

In my research years ago, I read a study that said bass are less stressed by chilling the water by 10 degrees than by warming it 5 degrees. Also cooler water slows the metabolic processes of the fish, thus decreasing their oxygen consumption. I’ll see if I can find the BASS Livewell Care recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    I get what you are saying but actually they work...just not that well for their intended purpose....they produce oxygen, but not in levels to significantly change the dissolved O2 levels in a livewell. So they work...just not very effectively. The Texas parks and wildlife testing that everyone refers to never said the oxygenator "didnt work". Just clarifying.

Lowering the water temp and constant aeration will keep fish happy.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I get what you are saying but actually they work...just not that well for their intended purpose....they produce oxygen, but not in levels to significantly change the dissolved O2 levels in a livewell. So they work...just not very effectively. The Texas parks and wildlife testing that everyone refers to never said the oxygenator "didnt work". Just clarifying.

Lowering the water temp and constant aeration will keep fish happy.

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying that they work, but don’t work well enough to be of any use:)

Quote Originally Posted by BassinR83 View Post
    Good to know. Thanks for clarifying that they work, but don’t work well enough to be of any use:)
    Yeah yeah....I know.I'm anal that way.

20. Banned
    Get a "Power Bubbles" set up about $50.00.I've never lost a fish,even in Fl. in August,be careful though ,they will jump out off your hands a weigh in. Turn it on when you fill the livewell and leave it on all day,very low amp draw. Along with your vt2 vents you should never have a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast