Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the difference in the new V8 4-strokes? Who is the intended customer for each?

I would be interested to know the warranty differences.

I found some specs and noted the differences I could find.

Fourstroke 250
    527lbs
    gear - 1.75:1
    85 amp alternator
    LU - 5.44"
    Controls - mechanical, or DTS
    Steering - hydraulic, or power
    WOT rpm - 5200 - 6000

ProXS 250
    505lbs
    85 amp alternator
    LU - 20"/TourqueMaster, or 25"/5.44"
    Steering - hydraulic, or power
    WOT rpm - 5600 - 6200

Verado 250
    600lbs
    gear - 1.85:1
    115 amp alternator
    LU - 5.44"
    Controls - DTS
    Steering -
    electro-hydraulic power
    WOT rpm - 5200 - 6000
    MSRP - $

SeaPro 250
    527lbs
    85 amp alternator
    LU - 5.44"
    Steering - hydraulic, power, or joystick piloting
    WOT rpm - 4800 - 5600

Racing 250R
    520lbs
    85 amp alternator
    LU - SportMaster
    Controls - mechanical
    Steering -
    WOT rpm - 5600 - 6200

*added the SeaPro and Racing, also some more info

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM Response
    FOURSTROKE: Recreational Focused (Lightweight, Fuel Economy & Speed, Broad Rigging Compatability on a CMS (Conventional Mid Section)).

VERADO: Experience Focused (Smoothest and Quietest, Fuel Economy & Speed, DTS (Digital Throttle & Shift), Joystick Compatability, AMS (Advanced Mid Section)).

ProXS: Performance Focused (Lightweight, Acceleration & Speed, Broad Rigging Compatibility, CMS

SeaPro: Commercial Focused (Lightweight, Durability & Reliability, Broad Rigging Compatability, CMS or AMS.

RACING: Racing Focused (Lightweight, Acceleration & Speed, Ability to Go Fast & Go Boldly).

*** There is no "single" specification for engines. For example- the 300R has THIRTY-SEVEN separate models available currently (prices are different as are some of the specifications).

There are obvious over-laps in the intended markets... offering the consumer many options to better fine-tune what he or she gets to enjoy!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-23-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added more information
    2012 Ranger Z521, 250 ProXS

we think we have this figured out.

Larger case, different bucket and tuning with a Conventional Mid Section (CMS)
    Fourstroke 250
    527lbs
    85 amp alternator

Fundamental G2 Torquemaster gearcase and throatier tuner. Conventional mid section (CMS)
    ProXS 250
    505lbs
    85 amp alternator

Advanced Mid Section with larger 5.44” gearcase and a larger alternator. Same tuning as Foirstroke 250.
    Verado 250
    600lbs
    gear - 1.85:1
    115 amp alternator[/QUOTE]

3. Member
    What about the 250R and 300R?
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

4. Member
    Also, Verado comes with power steering and only digital controls. Four-stroke and Pro XS are hydraulic steering and a choice of mechanical or digital contros.

5. Member
    Great question. We're thinking of ordering a new 24' tritoon this fall and I was thinking I'd get the L6 Verado DTS 200hp.

Now I'm not sure what is the right choice. Smallest Verado is 250hp, so I guess it's a 200hp Fourstroke V6. A 200hp Pro XS is a V8, but would it be okay on a 40mph pontoon? If I did step up to a 250hp, Verado or Fourstroke and why?

6. Member
    I'm guessing these new weight figures are without the 7qts. of oil in the motor.

Just go to a SeaStar Power Steering pump for Bass Boats and you can do what you want on your pontoon.

8. Member
    I think it's funny. The cost difference to manufacture and produce a 200 pro xs V8 vs a 250 Pro xs V8 is $0 I'm sure. Just a computer and some small parts. But you'll pay thousands more for the 250 over the 200.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KramerSP View Post
    I think it's funny. The cost difference to manufacture and produce a 200 pro xs V8 vs a 250 Pro xs V8 is $0 I'm sure. Just a computer and some small parts. But you'll pay thousands more for the 250 over the 200.

About $2,500 more, same thing goes with yami though.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KramerSP View Post
    Very good point. If people did not pay that premium they would not charge that much. But, people pay it.

11. Member
    The map in the PCU, cams, tuner are probably different along with higher warranty cost after the motor is sold raise the net cost some.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    The map in the PCU, cams, tuner are probably different along with higher warranty cost after the motor is sold raise the net cost some.
    There are also a lot of non-production costs that vary based on the HP of the engine model (those factor into engine pricing as well).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I'm guessing these new weight figures are without the 7qts. of oil in the motor.
    Probably not but then the published weights of 2-strokes probably don't include the oil in the remote tank (or the tank) so it doesn't really matter. Neither is a significant factor.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

My apologies for posting something ON topic but I would like to hear Don's opinion on who each of these engines is aimed at. Some questions are:

When would a bass boat guy want to go with a racing motor or not? I'm specifically thinking 21' boats rated for up to 300 HP.
    Why would someone choose the V6 200 over the V8 200 visa versa.
    Why choose a SeaPro outboard. I thought all Mercurys were salt water safe. Was I wrong or is there something else about a SeaPro that makes it better for something like a 24' center console?

Thanks!
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I added the SeaPro and Racing to the list. Also added some more information.

As berudd mentioned, nobody has given an opinion about intended customers for each motor. I will be re-powering a 21' bassboat and will probably use the ProXS. I started this thread because I was curious about the possibility of using the Racing.
    2012 Ranger Z521, 250 ProXS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Probably not but then the published weights of 2-strokes probably don't include the oil in the remote tank (or the tank) so it doesn't really matter. Neither is a significant factor.
    The weight is a "significant" factor for me. I'm not comparing the Mercury V8 four stroke weight to any other motor.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    FOURSTROKE: Recreational Focused (Lightweight, Fuel Economy & Speed, Broad Rigging Compatability on a CMS (Conventional Mid Section)).

VERADO: Experience Focused (Smoothest and Quietest, Fuel Economy & Speed, DTS (Digital Throttle & Shift), Joystick Compatability, AMS (Advanced Mid Section)).

ProXS: Performance Focused (Lightweight, Acceleration & Speed, Broad Rigging Compatibility, CMS

SeaPro: Commercial Focused (Lightweight, Durability & Reliability, Broad Rigging Compatability, CMS or AMS.

RACING: Racing Focused (Lightweight, Acceleration & Speed, Ability to Go Fast & Go Boldly).

There are obvious over-laps in the intended markets... offering the consumer many options to better fine-tune what he or she gets to enjoy!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Is the 250R available with digital controls?
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The weight is a "significant" factor for me. I'm not comparing the Mercury V8 four stroke weight to any other motor.
    Well, the point is that oil is not included in any weights. If your not comparing it to other motors then what's the point?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

So there are significant internal differences that result in different performance? As an example, what make the Seapro more durable than a ProXS and what makes it have better acceleration and speed?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast