Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

4 stroke vs 2 stroke

I wonder how us boat owners that have 2016-2017 opti max 250 pro xs 2 stokes will be effected on resale 2 or 3 years down the road due to the new 4 stoke.

2. Banned
    I guess that would depend on wether the new 4 strokes were great or horrible.

3. Banned
    From what Rick at Basscat said online, the new fourstrokes are going to be incredible performers.

The 2 stroke will probably be an albatross in another 5 years as Mercury parts support will just be 10 years. In the boating world, 10 years comes around pretty fast.

If the market is there, parts will be available. It’s a smaller world with online community.
    Manufacturers and suppliers can reach far to reach the customers.
    Parts are now becoming an issue for old carbed 2.4 and 2.5 Mercs.
    Internet is able to get buyers and sellers together, if there’s money to be made.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

5. Member
    No offense Firecat, but lets just say I’m glad I didn’t buy that Phoenix 819 with 200 Pro XS 2 stroke this spring.

Probably going to be the same as graphs & electronics hold on to it long enough and you'll find out it's not worth very much.

3L Optimax engines are great motors and will be for a long time. They have the potential to run 2000hrs if maintained properly.

They're also very easy to rebuild and there were a TON of them sold in 20 years of production.I still see many 98/99 Optimax engines running around all over down here if that means anything to you.

Resale wise, just like new and used boats, they will hold value do to new models increasing in price. Not everyone can afford a new 20k outboard! I just sold a 2005 225 Pro XS for $5800 & a 2016 250 Pro XS for $13,800. Some guys just plain prefer a 2s over a 4
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 05-19-2018 at 08:06 AM.

On the other hand..... Price a used 2 stroke Lawnboy lately ? Simplicity, lower cost to repair, lighter weight and higher revs. Enjoy the warranty on these new 4 strokes cause when they run out that is when Mercury's decision to go four stroke will pay extra dividends....For Mercury.
    And don't take this a knock as the new motors are impressive (if not ugly) but there is way more moving parts and stuff to break in a 4 cycle vs a 2 especially turning constant high RPM's ( start you truck drop it in 1st gear and go around the block without shifting or letting it shift.....)

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

I don't think it will really have any impact. Think of it like this. Since they discontinued the Optimax we are not going to have an extended period where boats of the same make, model and year are being sold with both motors. Yes, there are some as old stock is sold but not thousands and not for a long period of time. Now, look at the depreciation on a new bass boat. Its pretty dang significant. So, even if the 4strokes had not come out 2-3 years old boats with an Optimax on them would still have been sold for thousands and thousands less that new boats. The price of used boats will be lower but I don't think the 2stroke on it will be a significant factor. And don't for get the large number "change is bad" people out there that will flatly refuse to buy a 4stroke because <insert reason here>.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    I am generally a 2 stroke guy... The tech is improving on them as well so I would not count them out. There is still no way a 4 stroke can match the power or the weight of a 2 stroke.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    There is still no way a 4 stroke can match the power or the weight of a 2 stroke.
    I would suggest you take your first opportunity to test drive a 4.6L V-8 and then let us know if you still feel that way.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    I am generally a 2 stroke guy... The tech is improving on them as well so I would not count them out. There is still no way a 4 stroke can match the power or the weight of a 2 stroke.
    Umm...... Mercury just did.

Well, umm yeah now imagine a 4.6 V-8 two stroke..... The new motors are impressive but look at how much more motor you have to have to match the performance of a two stroke.

22R
    Last edited by 22R; 05-20-2018 at 06:29 AM.

14. Banned
    That's just basic engine theory, one power stroke per revolution vs. one power stroke for two revolutions. It takes more displacement for a 4-stroke to put out the same power; no argument there.
    Where a 4-stroke shines is in reliability:
    A pressurized oiling system, and the ability to run lean without burning up pistons.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post
    Well, umm yeah now imagine a 4.6 V-8 two stroke..... The new motors are impressive but look at how much more motor you have to have to match the performance of a two stroke.

22R

and????? Which one will get the better fuel mileage? You seem to be awfully negative about this motor without knowing a single thing about them. Now if you have driven one, then do tell all the bad things to us.

Simply put, the 2 strokes are dead to the future, why whine about it.

16. Member

Here's Ken Smith with the new v8 on his ranger. Sounds awesome

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    and????? Which one will get the better fuel mileage? You seem to be awfully negative about this motor without knowing a single thing about them. Now if you have driven one, then do tell all the bad things to us.

Simply put, the 2 strokes are dead to the future, why whine about it.
    Not whining just stating facts that you need double the displacement on a 4 to match a 2. I am impressed by what Merc has done just imagine had they worked this hard to lighten the 2 strokes. BRP must have a reason for sticking with the 2 stroke and we will see as the future unfolds what happens. I am not anti 4 stroke I love them in my truck, car and ZTR but it is hard to beat a lightweight and simplicity of a 2 stroke on weedeaters, chainsaws and outboards where weight is critical. I mean Merc did seem to copy the ugly G2 exterior design a lot of people howled about who knows where the may follow BRP next ?? :)

22R

18. Member
    Not whining just stating facts that you need double the displacement on a 4 to match a 2. I am impressed by what Merc has done just imagine had they worked this hard to lighten the 2 strokes. BRP must have a reason for sticking with the 2 stroke and we will see as the future unfolds what happens. I am not anti 4 stroke I love them in my truck, car and ZTR but it is hard to beat a lightweight and simplicity of a 2 stroke on weedeaters, chainsaws and outboards where weight is critical. I mean Merc did seem to copy the ugly G2 exterior design a lot of people howled about who knows where the may follow BRP next ?? :)

22R
    Good looking motors? No. But your argument really only holds water, if the 4s was way heavier and way more expensive. It isn't. Similar performance, price and weight. They obviously wanted to get away from 2s's, just like Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

19. Member
    It weighs 505lbs....pretty comparable to the 2 stroke

22R
    Double the displacement? The Mercury 2 stoke 200,225,250 were 3 liters the new Mercury 4 stroke V8 is 4.6 . Double the displacement would be 6 liters . The Yamaha had to make the same 250 out of 4.2 liters on a 4 stroke . My point is you can get just as much power and way more torque out of a 4-stroke with very little upgrading displacement. Two Strokes are being phased out in Mercury was one of the last big manufacturers to still manufactor a 2 stroke.The future is 4 and I'm glad it's about time they made the change
    Last edited by idratherbeefishin; 05-20-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast