Thread: 2.8" swimbait

2.8" swimbait

I'm looking for a high quality jig head that will pair well with keitech 2.8s or strike king rage swimmer 2.75".

What do you guys recommend? Right now I'm using zman finesse shroomz, because it's what I have.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

2. Member
    I use a Do-It mold and make an 1/8 oz head with a #1 Eagle Claw Laser hook. For the 3.3 and 3.8 Keitechs, I use the same head with a 1/0 hook. Works well. Jig heads are supposed to be crappie jigs, I just use a larger hook.

3. Member
    Owner or keitech tungsten jig heads would be the only two I’d ever buy if I had to. I’ve been making my own for the past couple years so I don’t buy lead anymore but if it’s for a tournament I only use keitech heads
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    do you prefer a ball head or a minnow shaped head?

I have been using Do it's diner shiner

It is a minnow shaped head with a keeper like Shroomz have.
    Question everything!

5. Member
    I've been using Revenge for years
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jerrysfishing; 06-01-2018 at 02:49 PM.

I don't have a huge preference on the head shape. Mainly I'm looking for a good hook that has an appropriate length shank. Most shanks seem too long for such a small bait.

I have 1/8 oz crappie jig heads that fit right, but the hook is too flimsy for 5lb smallies.

Also the constant wind here makes a 1/4 oz head the lightest I'll get away with
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

Keng,
    I think I have a pretty good idea what you're looking for. Look at the Z-Man Trout Eye or Trout Eye Finesse.
    It's a bit out of the norm for bass because it's designed as an inshore jighead for speckled trout primarily.
    The TE Finesse has a 1/0 Mustad Ultrapoint and the regular TE has a 2/0. Both have a very short shank.
    1/4 ounce is the heaviest you can get in the regular TE though, 3/16 in the TE Finesse.
    https://zmanfishing.com/store/catego...outeye_finesse

I have the jigheads. Happy to measure overall length and send photos. I don't have any 2.8 Keitechs unfortunately to actually rig one up. I do have some 3.8 Keitechs.

8. Member
    Oldham Unique Screw-Lock Jig Heads

http://www.oldhamjigs.com/products.html

Dirty Jigs Guppy head. I have used the 1/8 size with 1/0 hook quite a bit this spring with a 2.8 keitech, worked well for smallmouth and a few walleye.

I love to Dropshot these on a Mustad Grip Pin Hook. Size 1 is a good size for the 2.8" Keitech. Just another option. This is a killer set up and bass cannot resist this.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

11. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Here is what I use for my 2.8 and 3.3 soft swimmies. They work GREAT and hold them on. VMC Half Moon Jigs

12. Member
    VMC also makes a finesse half Moon head with a smaller hook

13. Member
    I make mine with a do it ballhead with the eyesockets. 2/0 and 3/0 mustad. A head with big Eye balls will double your bites on a swimbait. No doubt
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keng8554 View Post
    I don't have a huge preference on the head shape. Mainly I'm looking for a good hook that has an appropriate length shank. Most shanks seem too long for such a small bait.

I have 1/8 oz crappie jig heads that fit right, but the hook is too flimsy for 5lb smallies.

Also the constant wind here makes a 1/4 oz head the lightest I'll get away with
    You NEED these Trokar Boxing Glove jigheads. Sharpest hooks out there short shank STRONG STOUT shank at that.
    I have 1/8 size for the 2.8" and 1/4 for 3.8. Its windy all the time as well where I fish and the 1/8 size gets the job done.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...14ztrkrbxjglur

3.8 on 1/4 size

2.8" on 1/8 size
    Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE; 06-01-2018 at 02:04 PM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    You NEED these Trokar Boxing Glove jigheads. Sharpest hooks out there short shank STRONG STOUT shank at that.
    I have 1/8 size for the 2.8" and 1/4 for 3.8. Its windy all the time as well where I fish and the 1/8 size gets the job done.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...14ztrkrbxjglur
    This. I use the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    I make mine with a do it ballhead with the eyesockets. 2/0 and 3/0 mustad. A head with big Eye balls will double your bites on a swimbait. No doubt
    That's a 24K tip there. And the premise behind the Trout Eye jigheads. They come unpainted but you can choose the color of the eye.
    I've been meaning to post a pic of the ones I mentioned before. Here they are rigged on a 3.5" Swimmin' Trout Trick with a standard 1/4ounce crappie jighead for comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm going to try a few of these!