PCM FLASH on new Merc 4 strokes

How long did it take for people to crack the Yamaha programming?

I'm sure people are working on figuring out the new Merc stuff as we read this post!

Over and under on term to crack Merc new PCM programming?

6 months is my answer.

JAZII

I don't think it will take long 1 year or less, but here's the other side...

I don't know many that would risk voiding their warranty on a brand new design engine. All the manufacturers have caught on to flashing PCM's and have safeguards..aka...recorders that only factory personnel can access. They will know if its been flashed, or parameters have been changed, even after being removed. That would be considered altering and grounds to void your warranty. At the least, they can deny coverage.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I don't think it will take long 1 year or less, but here's the other side...

I don't know many that would risk voiding their warranty on a brand new design engine. All the manufacturers have caught on to flashing PCM's and have safeguards..aka...recorders that only factory personnel can access. They will know if its been flashed, or parameters have been changed, even after being removed. That would be considered altering and grounds to void your warranty. At the least, they can deny coverage.
    That doesn't seem to slow them down flashing the Hammers.

4. Member
    I would have two PCM's........One STOCK and a second one ALTERED. For testing purposes only .

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I would have two PCM's........One STOCK and a second one ALTERED. For testing purposes only .
    EGG ZACTLY!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

6. Banned
    I was thinking that outboard motor manufacturer ECU/PCMs are relatively low tech and don't show up on factory diagnostic equipment as being flashed.

I have no idea how many marine engine tuners there are on the market. But I would be very hesitant to turnover a $25k motor over to just any shop with a laptop equipped with software that can remap the fuel system and engine timing. We will see what Mr. Simon can do with the new motors.

Wouldn't it be nice if Mercury engineering put out a motor already running at 100% of its capabilities? The Verado 225 has another 90 horsepower left in it with improved driveability with a Simon flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I'm betting Mercury factory personnel can tell if a PCM change is made. They each have a unique identification.

The days of changing out or altering PCM's without the factory knowing are over. They each have safeguards.
    Last edited by Gamblinman; 05-19-2018 at 06:59 AM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I'm betting Mercury factory personnel can tell if a PCM change is made. They each have a unique identification.

The days of changing out or altering PCM's without the factory knowing are over. They each have safeguards.
    No big deal, cause my STOCK PCM failed , and I replaced it with another stock one. No way to tell what truly happened in-between changes.

Now the editing part remains to be seen!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They would be able to tell that on these PCM 112 models. ��

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Bamaman,
    Very true that there is more left in a 225, but if Mercury did that, a lot of boats couldn't be sold to run it with their coast guard plates stating 225HP, 250HP, or 275HP max. Also, what would Mercury have to sell? When you buy a 225 you know it is not working very hard. You also get a similar torque curve to the 300HP. The higher HP Verados have more on the top end vs. their lessor counterparts, but the low-end isn't all that different in feel. I've driven the same boat powered with both a 225HP and 300HP Verado.