Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a Mahindra 3505 DI that I inherited from my grandfather. Been a great tractor, 35 hp diesel, 2WD, very heavy compared to the new tractors. We have several attachments but I desperately need a front end loader. Surprisingly it's hard to find one to fit that model. Only one I've found is Westendorf and they wanted $7200 for just the loader, not-installed. My grandfather bought the tractor new for $10K in 2002, so I can't really justify throwing on an aftermarket loader at 3/4 the price of the tractor, especially with the tractor just being 2WD. Just going to save up and eventually upgrade to something that fits my needs a little better. Still though, it's amazing the work I can get done with that thing. My wife and I just bought 18 acres that we maintain with it.

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Very interesting. I wanted to grow blueberries here in KY, but the amount of work required to keep the soil pH at the correct level wasn't worth it, so I'm trying the saskatoons which fits the soil pH here much easier. Definitely no big blueberry operation here.

Oh, and I finally saw what my father-in-law bought, I thought he bought the Kubota M7040 that he had seen previously, but instead he brought home a nearly new John Deere 5055E. Crazy that it's made in India. 55 hp engine with 45 hp at the PTO, 4WD, with loader.
    I've been told that spreading pine needles makes a suitable pH for blueberries in our area. Never tried it though.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    I have a Mahindra 3505 DI that I inherited from my grandfather. Been a great tractor, 35 hp diesel, 2WD, very heavy compared to the new tractors. We have several attachments but I desperately need a front end loader. Surprisingly it's hard to find one to fit that model. Only one I've found is Westendorf and they wanted $7200 for just the loader, not-installed. My grandfather bought the tractor new for $10K in 2002, so I can't really justify throwing on an aftermarket loader at 3/4 the price of the tractor, especially with the tractor just being 2WD. Just going to save up and eventually upgrade to something that fits my needs a little better. Still though, it's amazing the work I can get done with that thing. My wife and I just bought 18 acres that we maintain with it.

I've been told that spreading pine needles makes a suitable pH for blueberries in our area. Never tried it though.
    Have you checked all the brands? I was thinking many of the bushhog brand loaders were fairly universal, just have to buy the right brackets.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Have you checked all the brands? I was thinking many of the bushhog brand loaders were fairly universal, just have to buy the right brackets.
    Well I've checked with Mahindra, Woods, Bush Hog, and Westendorf. No one lists the 3505 anymore except Westendorf, which I think is odd considering it's just 15 years old. Almost everyone lists the 3525 which is basically the same tractor but newer model (it took over for the 3505 in 2004, mine is 2002). Can't get confirmation from anyone though that the 3525 brackets will work on a 3505. Been trying to find out if they share the same frame, but no luck thus far.

4. Member
    Well I've checked with Mahindra, Woods, Bush Hog, and Westendorf. No one lists the 3505 anymore except Westendorf, which I think is odd considering it's just 15 years old. Almost everyone lists the 3525 which is basically the same tractor but newer model (it took over for the 3505 in 2004, mine is 2002). Can't get confirmation from anyone though that the 3525 brackets will work on a 3505. Been trying to find out if they share the same frame, but no luck thus far.
    I had some questions about a certain model Mahindra for a friend of mine and I emailed the corp. Took a couple of days but they did get back to me, you can call or try emailing them https://mahindrausa.com/contact-us

I'm pretty sure the loaders would mount but wouldn't want you to buy one on my knowledge, I have been wrong before
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

5. Member
    weve got a kubota diesel 2600 diesel 4x4

We put chains on it in the winter and the thing will blow 3 feet of snow while driving up a steep hill on a corner with ease...the backhoe and front bucket are awesome too...great for fixing washouts on the long gravel driveway etc.

Some have concerns that the thing isnt heavy enough to take big loads in the front bucket...last year i was hauling buckets full of bigger rocks that I hand loaded into the bucket then drove the tractor down to the boat house and it handled them no problem...you cant go wrong with a good utility tractor.

Its like having 3 people running wheelbarrows with no effort. We also chain stuff to it to lift like out marine rail system that we take out each year at ice out. We havent found a job that it wasnt capable of performing yet.

One tip, for changing attachments, whatever you do, try do it on a nice level surface...my old man is too cheap to pour a new concrete pad for this purpose (dont even get me started) and swapping from the bucket to blower every spring/fall is a chit show to get the hydraulic drive aligned on the spindle...if the ground was level it would be a 2 minute job.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

6. Member
    If you are planning on using a front end loader much, I recommend getting as large of tractor as you can afford. Personally, I wouldnt even consider buying one under 50HP. The smaller ones will get you killed quick if you try to put anything in the bucket.

7. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeBassin View Post
    How many BBC members own tractors and what advice do you have for someone thinking about buying one? I'd want to use it for around the house work, field mowing, snow removal, and possibly wild blueberry work up here in Maine. Thing is if I want to harvest blueberries with it I basically have to get a 5 or 6 family/series and thats a chunk of change that I don't have...so I might have to rule that out.
    Just sold my 1959 Massey Ferguson MF35 Deluxe
    Looking for it's replacement now

"Success is never owned, it is rented, and the rent is due every day."

8. Member
    Yeah I definitely want 4x4, a loader, and a cab. I'm not a huge fan of the amount of mosquitos and black flies we have around in the warm months, and the freezing temps during the winter! The decision I am having trouble with is whether or not to get a new 60ish hp, or just go for it and buy like a lightly used 115 hp 5 series or something. John Deere and Kubota seem to be the two popular brands around here. Theres actually a John Deere dealer in my town, but I wouldn't have to go far to find a kubota dealer. Less than 45 minutes.
    Get the 115 horse power you can never have to much power...I've bee farming 40+ years and never thought once I should have bought a lesser horse power machine.

9. Member
    Let's get some quick thoughts on hydrostatic vs shuttle (gear on gear) transmissions? All kinds of discussions out there about this but I'd be curious to hear what you guys think. I may be in the market for a tractor sooner than I think.

10. Banned
    Let's get some quick thoughts on hydrostatic vs shuttle (gear on gear) transmissions? All kinds of discussions out there about this but I'd be curious to hear what you guys think. I may be in the market for a tractor sooner than I think.
    If you are going with an agloader, the hydro is preferred. Mid mount mower on amsubcompact s also needs a hydro. Larger horsepower compact tractors are okay with shuttles. If using a rear rotary cutter or a finishing mower and there are not too many trees, the standard crunch box tranny is okay.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Kubota M9540 for the big work and kubota 4630 for the little work here.. Kubota's are tad light compared to the equivalent Deere , however they aren't in the shop broke down when you need them. you wont be dissappointed or let down with a Kubota IMO.

12. Member
    John Deere 3720 with a cab... Next to my boat, best way I've found to spend $30,000 bucks!

Lots of good advice thanks guys. The 4066r is still calling my name but I'm also curious about if its smart to look for something pre-emmisions control era
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N
    Dual Power Pole 8' Blades

14. Member
    Lots of good advice thanks guys. The 4066r is still calling my name but I'm also curious about if its smart to look for something pre-emmisions control era
    That's the way to go if you can find one with low hours and a low price tag. Heard they are going rather high at times.

15. Member
    We bought a JD 1025R with a loader and 60' deck last fall to clean 3 acres. That little tractor is by far the best machine I'v ever owned and I've had a bunch of them.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    That's the way to go if you can find one with low hours and a low price tag. Heard they are going rather high at times.
    Do you know what year John Deere started with the emissions stuff?
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N
    Dual Power Pole 8' Blades

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Do you know what year John Deere started with the emissions stuff?
    1994. There are varying levels for different years and engine sizes. Really kicked in 2004.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    Tier 4 started in off road engines on January 1, 2014. Most anything before that shouldn't have def.

Tier 3 brought about egr in most off road apps. That occurred between 2006 to 2008.

19. Member
    The 1st tractor I bought in about 1997 was a Harris Ferguson 8N.

It looked just like an 8N, but had Harris Ferguson on data plate and hood.

I used it about 10 years and finally sold it to a relative who wanted to restore it.

I have a Ford 1700 now that I use to pull a finish mower, box blade, landscape rake, etc.

Ford 4600 w/loader. Sips fuel and built to do battle
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast