Thread: Mega vs Non

Mega vs Non

Ok..I've been running these dang Mega units around and around trying to rationalize why I need one so bad. One big question I have is this, I currently use a 1198 and use it on 455khz to utilize SI. Why then is the Mega frequency so much better when I don't use the 800Khz that my unit already has? Is it the higher screen resolution, faster processor, or just a combination of all that make the new Mega units worth the money? Most scanning I do is at 75 feet or less (150 feet total). Do those of you that have the Mega units actually use the high frequency that much while scanning?

2. Member
    I mostly scan at 75ft or less too and use the mega frequencies almost exclusively at that range. If I scan wider ranges I like 455. The image is so clear and the details you can see are awesome.... but does it help catch more fish??? Not necessarily. But I really like what I see. For me, it was worth it to go ahead and get the current technology.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    I normally scan around 65-70 feet to the side and rarely use the mega frequencies. When I do it is normally in water less than 20ft and you will have to make adjustments to dial in the pictures
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

Need to explore and maximize the details and options IMO ....

Details, can sure help - unlike you with 455 kHz I used 800 kHz an awful lot (before Mega) because of higher detail capability.

Of course you need to view each in it's own window for full size comparison.

My old 998 Brian sold me at 800 kHz:

H12MSI @ 1299kHz.

IMO 455 is strictly for locating structure from a distance using much wider ranging, reach and coverage is much more while usable detail is much less.

You make the call.

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    Nice screenshots Robert. I am still learning how to use the frequencies. Do you typically use the higher frequencies in shallower water at shorter ranges?
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Indeed. - if I am looking for structure I will zoom out quite a bit.

I have used the MSI for over 100 foot in shallow, but deeper water and longer distances will fairly work well with 455.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

7. Member
    For me I am happy with both my 1198 and Helix 12 gen1 I usually do not use my side imaging to find structure so I set my units up differently, I look strictly for fish I do not care what is on the bottom or sticking up I do not need a perfect picture, I do not see fish I move. To me it is a waste of time to find something on the bottom and screw around trying to figure out what it is, it takes my eyes away from looking for fish on the rest of the screen.

When I run my SI I usually have my scroll speed cranked up pretty fast that way it elongates possible fish and shadows making them easier for me to see. When I find fish then I may slow down my scroll speed to get a better picture of what and how they are relating to any structure.

So at least for me getting the Helix Gen 1 over the Gen 2 made sense as I do not care how pretty the picture is as long as it finds me fish, to add I do not use DI very very rarely usually just 2D.

8. Banned
    For me the biggest difference is in the Di images. They are much better than the Helix G1 units I have seen. It was explained to me that the mega units have a dedicated di element while the gen 1 units don't.

9. Member
    If you can see fish and structure with your Helix Gen 1 you are good to go. My buddy has the top end bird Solix units that are now 3 yrs old. The Gen 2 Helix units and the top end Solix are much better than 3 yr old units. A person including my buddy, you and I can never have the NEW BEST technology for long as upgrades are introduced very often. If you are happy with the units resolution as I am with my HELIX Gen 1 SI save your money as the Gen 3 will be out soon. For me I will wait until my Gen 1 dies.

10. Solix 10 Gen3 DI+/SI+
    A fellow can go broke these days trying to keep up with technology. Just my 2 cents.