Mercury vessel view question

I have a 2018 Mercury 150 hp 4 stroke serial # 2B467430 with vessel view installed. Is it OK to just turn the key to the on position to check a few things on my vessel view while boat is parked in the garage? Will this even work or does engine have to be running. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, for a short period of time that is acceptable. Be VERY careful- with the Smart-Start feature, it takes only a bump of the key to enact a "Start" sequence.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I’m sorry but I don’t understand. For a short period of time, what is acceptable? And whAt does the vessel view have to do with smart start?

4. Member
    He is just saying to be super careful to not turn the key too far -- for if you do, you'll start it up out of the water -- which may damage or shorten the life of the water pump.

I often turn mine to the run position to check fuel used, etc on the SmartCraft gauges. Just don't leave it on like that for hours on end...5-10 min at a shot is not a big deal, I don't think.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ Agreed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor