Z185 and 518 owners...batteries

I am planning to run a 31amg cranking battery as I have two graphs, power pole, livewells running, etc... For an 80lb Ultrex, can I go with two 27 AMG’s? I’m not a tournament angler, so just need them for recreational fishing...5hrs or so a day. I’m worried if I go with 31s the space may be an issue and the 31s weigh considerably more.

2. Member
    27's should work fine. My old boat had the wet cell 27's and they would last all day and then some.
    Check this site, Duracell is holding up great for me now. Make sure your charger will work.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../bci-group-27m

3. Member
    I am running a group 31 x2 power agm battery. My stock 27 lead acid would only last about 4-5hrs on a tournament day with pumps and graphs running. I have a Helix 9 & 10, both g2n's and a single Talon. I had to buy a bigger battery box but the extra room it takes up is negligible and I noticed no difference in performance. You stated you don't fish tournaments and the jump switch works great (I have used it plenty before my agm) but why chance it.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

4. Member
    Same as cwalsh, i replaced my wet cell 27's with Group 31 AGM's. I had to swap out the battery trays, minimal expense. I can go 8 hours, maybe even longer, with 2 HDS 12's and live well on a timer. I am using Deka batteries. I really notice the difference on the trolling motor. I can go all day in the wind, and have never had the trolling motor batteries die on me.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

I have a 2017 z185.

Cranking: https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...1m/sli31agmdpm
    3 graphs / Livewell / accessories I run during the day. Fishing for 8-10 hours I still have over half battery left!

Ultrex 80lb: Two Interstate size 29 Deep cycles
    Windy day with heavy use still have a quarter battery left, sometimes a little less. 8-10 hours of fishing

Space is not an issue with size 31s. I could remove the 29s and put two 31s but thats just added unnecessary weight. You'll be fine, especially since you're not tournament fishing.

6. Member
    I've got a 188VS (same battery compartment as a 518) with a 80# Fortrex and on my starboard side I have an AGM 31 and my oil tank. On the port side I have two lead acid 29 trolling motor batteries. Mr. Jones on the Trolling Motor Forum advises against AGM for the trolling motor for a couple of reasons, mainly cost. For the 31 you'll need a bigger tray, I bought the aluminum tray that BassCat sells because the screws mount on the inside of the tray instead of the outside therefore it has a smaller footprint. For the two 29 batteries I also needed new trays because the ones that came in my boat would only hold a 27, I would have gotten the BassCat tray for them but didn't realize I needed new trays until I was trying to put the new batteries in so I ran up to BPS and bought two in the spur of the moment. My 29 batteries are Everstart Maxx from Wal-Mart at $99 each and so far no issues at all and I can replace them around every 3-4 years needed or not without breaking the bank. Here's a link to the aluminum BassCat tray.

https://www.basscatstore.com/aluminumtraywithstrap.aspx

Thanks everyone, that is exactly what I needed!