Thread: trim problem

trim problem

2009 Verado serial number 1B734074. It has the big tiller handle on it. The trim switches at the front of the boat and on the side of the motor work fine but the switch on the end of the tiller handle doesn't work all the time when trimming down. I tried a new switch and that didn't help. Tried new relays and that didn't work either. Could it be a ground problem?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Likely a wiring or connection problem with the handle switch/harness. If "up" works 100% consistently, and "down" works intermittently from ONLY that switch, it's likely on the green (green w/white stripe) wire circuit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    That's what it was Don. The green wire was broken. Thank you so much for the great advice.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor