Boat seat won't tighten or come out

My 2001 TR21 has threads on the back seat pole. When I try to tighten the pole it just turns and turns. Never gets tight. I can't get it to come out either. Any ideas what might have happened to cause this? How do I fix it?

sounds like the nut on the threaded base may have come loose from the base and is spinning.

3. Member
    Any idea how I get to it to tighten it? Thanks for the response.

4. Member
    My Tr20 had same problem (not tightening) found that the hole was full of dirt/trash, Cleaned it out and now it works. Light oil and a pipe wrench or good channel locks has helped me in years past to get to get the pole out if like has been said "the nut is not broken loose."
    Rocket

5. Member
    My 01 is the same way. The base basically has a nut welded in it and the threads are just rusted away on the nut.

6. Member
    I appreciate the replies. Anybody know how I can fix it?

7. Banned
    Pull the base and go from there. The mounting screws have nuts on the backside, mine access in the rod lockers and livewell. An extra pair of hands probably wouldn’t hurt.

8. Banned
    Just checked and I can feel the nut on mine thru the livewell cover. Should be easy to tell if it’s spinning and put some grips on it to get the pole out. Chunk the nut and carry on

9. Member
    Still Stumped! No access through the live wells or the back compartment. Can I be only one this has happened to? I'll try any other ideas.

10. Banned
    You’ve got to at least be able to access the mounting screws/nuts or they never would have got it put on. Surely they didn’t just run sheet metal screws right into the deck. Look harder, lol

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrooster View Post
    You’ve got to at least be able to access the mounting screws/nuts or they never would have got it put on. Surely they didn’t just run sheet metal screws right into the deck. Look harder, lol
    Today I spoke to a Triton dealer that said on my 2001 TR21 I was going to need to cut the carpet to expose the base and then get the base out and then a new base would have to be "glassed in." He referred me to a glass shop that has done it in the past. He said it was a real "pain in the azz". Apparently the newer boats have access.
    Last edited by BASSGURU; 05-25-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling

12. Banned
    Wow, that sucks. Mines a 2001, glad it’s not like that.

13. Member
    They actually sandwiched the bases between the layers of fiberglass when they make them.