Thread: Tampa Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar

Question Tampa Jim

Dexos motor oil,,, what the he!! is it and why?
    What's in it that makes it so special that GM requires it or the warranty is void?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

2. Member
    Nothing makes it special
    It is a money grab, mobil one synthetic oil already met the dexos standards gm came up with. Now mobil one (or any of the oil co's) has to pay a fee to gm to have the dexos approved label on the jug of oil, driving up the cost to the end user and lining gm's pockets for a BS made up standard that many synthetic oils already met.
    Be sure they will do an oil sample if you have a warranty issue.
    Last edited by fxdwgkd; 05-17-2018 at 09:19 PM.

This is just like how I have to use expensive pennzoil in my 6.4 hemi. Its has some kind of special label on the bottle too.

Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgkd View Post
    Nothing makes it special
    It is a money grab, mobil one synthetic oil already met the dexos standards gm came up with. Now mobil one (or any of the oil co's) has to pay a fee to gm to have the dexos approved label on the jug of oil, driving up the cost to the end user and lining gm's pockets for a BS made up standard that many synthetic oils already met.
    Be sure they will do an oil sample if you have a warranty issue.
    Just like AMSOIL it exceeds TW3------- But you have to pay to have that rating put on the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Just like AMSOIL it exceeds TW3------- But you have to pay to have that rating put on the bottle
    I agree with this statement

6. Member
    Just like yamalube and merc oil.

So as usual it's all about the money!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

Here...

"Dexos engine oil specification is designed by GM Powertrain engineers and is intended specifically for GM engines. Dexos is designed to increase fuel efficiency, extend the life of the vehicles emissions system, reduce oil changes and extend the life of the vehicle. All vehicles produced in and after 2011 are stocked with Dexos oil and are recommended to be used for the life of the vehicle. Dexos can also be used in older models of GM vehicles and is a certified and licensed product of General Motors."

...in other words more money out of your pocket!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    So as usual it's all about the money!!!
    everything is always about the money!

XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

11. Member
    Well. I drive an old (to you-all) truck that I bought new in 2007. I found out it burned/used oil the first time I didn't change the oil at 3000 miles and the low oil light came on.
    It's a GM 5.3. I changed to Wal-mart oil last year, didn't see any sense in putting high dollar oil in it just to keep it full. Oil consumption dropped by half. Waddaya know?
    Guess I shoulda used $15 a quart GM oil all along. Or maybe Wal-mart oil.

12. Member
    I worked for a company that serviced vacuum heat treating equipment. We rebuilt pumps and other mechanical equipment. What I learned about the engineered quality that made one oil different from another was interesting. Just for an example. Oils can be made to absorb molecules or to not absorb molecules which would allow for filtration of certain impurites. They are synthetically engineered to withstand temperature changes etc.. It's not a bullshit science at all. Every machine we serviced had to be restocked with a specific oil. Some of these machines operated 24/7 for years on end with little maintenance required except oil changes.

13. Member
    Actually, it’s not the same as other products. Current GM specifications actually do exceed current API specifications. GM doesn’t get everything right, but they nailed the lubricant lineup and have been more advanced than most manufacturers for a long time. And, yes, you do need to use a dexos1 approved product to meet warranty requirements. However, there’s a very wide variety of engine oil manufacturers with products meeting the specification. Anything from reasonable to wildly expensive. You’ll be just fine from a financial standpoint. For gasoline engines, you are looking for GM dexos1 Gen 2. For Diesel engines, you are looking for GM dexos2.

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Well. I drive an old (to you-all) truck that I bought new in 2007. I found out it burned/used oil the first time I didn't change the oil at 3000 miles and the low oil light came on.
    It's a GM 5.3. I changed to Wal-mart oil last year, didn't see any sense in putting high dollar oil in it just to keep it full. Oil consumption dropped by half. Waddaya know?
    Guess I shoulda used $15 a quart GM oil all along. Or maybe Wal-mart oil.
    Had the same happen with an 09 5.3. Went to dino oil and cut usage to about a quart every 4k. Yes, I'm still driving it. 169000 miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    Dexos motor oil,,, what the he!! is it and why?
    What's in it that makes it so special that GM requires it or the warranty is void?
    What are you driving that requires Dexos oil?

I had a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L and had all oil changes done at the dealer where I bought it. Used Mobil 1 most of the time. Service guy recommended Dexos and said it was cheaper than Mobil 1. I think they only used it once or twice in my truck.

My oil light came on one day and I added oil. It was right before an oil change was due based on the oil life sensor. After that, I checked the oil every 25 to 30 percent on the OLS and usually added half a quart.

Traded the 2014 in for a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L last month. Basically the same as my 2014. I'll use Dexos at the dealer if they have it in stock. Also will be monitoring oil usage which is my only dislike with The 2014. The SLE Z71 model suits my needs and wants as I only have one vehicle.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

16. Member
    Interesting. Go to the 7-11 and grab some Dexos approved oil with your Big Gulp.

Sounds like chevy built an oil usage factor into the 5.3 motors. Use the dexos and corperations will get a little more coin.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

My '08 5.3L doesn't burn any oil. The oil had always been changed at the dealership until I bought it with 45k on the odo, and I changed to Mobil 1 of the specified grade (5w-20, I think).

19. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Here...

"Dexos engine oil specification is designed by GM Powertrain engineers and is intended specifically for GM engines. Dexos is designed to increase fuel efficiency, extend the life of the vehicles emissions system, reduce oil changes and extend the life of the vehicle. All vehicles produced in and after 2011 are stocked with Dexos oil and are recommended to be used for the life of the vehicle. Dexos can also be used in older models of GM vehicles and is a certified and licensed product of General Motors."

...in other words more money out of your pocket!
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Actually, it’s not the same as other products. Current GM specifications actually do exceed current API specifications. GM doesn’t get everything right, but they nailed the lubricant lineup and have been more advanced than most manufacturers for a long time. And, yes, you do need to use a dexos1 approved product to meet warranty requirements. However, there’s a very wide variety of engine oil manufacturers with products meeting the specification. Anything from reasonable to wildly expensive. You’ll be just fine from a financial standpoint. For gasoline engines, you are looking for GM dexos1 Gen 2. For Diesel engines, you are looking for GM dexos2.

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/
    ok maybe i didn't word the question correctly.
    what is "the specification"? or where can i find it?
    i write specs for a living and would be very interested in how this reads..

from the outside looking in it looks to me like a lot of oils "meet the specification" that were already being made and gm found a way to extort funds from them for allowing them to label their packaging as Dexos compatible in order to keep sales to gm owners.

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

20. Member
    Here's a crazy story for you all...
    I have an 07' Chrysler Aspen... Basically a luxury version of a Dodge Durango. We bought it used two years ago and we love it. It has a 5.7 Hemi in it just like my 04' Dodge RAM. However, my RAM requires 5w30. The Aspen requires 5w20... Since my truck used 5w30 i have always used 5w30 in the Aspen as well. I noticed that everytime i would change the oil that it would be considerably low. So just started to add a little between oil changes... I never thought a thing about it really... I just kept it topping it off between oil changes, and changing it about every 4-5000 miles. One day my wife pulled into the driveway and the engine sounded like it lost a pushrod or at a bare minimum a lifter was clattering very loudly... I immediately checked the oil knowing that there had to be a hole in the oil pan or something because i was sure there was no oil it. To my surprise it was full. We had it towed to our mechanic and feared the worst... I knew we would, at a bare minimum, need a top end rebuild.
    The mechanic called the very next day and left my wife a message that it was all ready to go.
    Knowing that there was clearly a mistake and that they called the wrong person, i went to the mechanic at lunch. To my surprise they explained to me that we were using the wrong oil and that it will lead to problems... They plugged the scanner into the port and it immediately came up, "WRONG ENGINE OIL TYPE"
    Long story short the mechanic explained that modern engines are not at all the same as the old engines that simply used oil for lubrication. These new engines are built completely differently and the blocks and heads are designed with very small oil channels and orfice passage ways to direct oil to exact areas and places that old engines used to just sling oil everywhere and didnt require precision lube in places.
    He explained that they get cars in every week just like ours and that they just shake their heads in disbelief that there can be such a drastic difference between 5w20 and 5w30 but there is.

In my case as well as others they will pull the valve covers for a bried inspection and make sure everything is still intact and all ok. It was in my case and almost is in every other situation.
    They added a system cleaner and ran the engine for a few minutes to clear out plugged oil passageways and such and changed the oil to 5w20. We just drove it to Chicago and back. It sounds and drives like a new one....

If i had not witnessed this myself i would have called complete and utter B.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast