Steak and Iron Skillet

A friend of mine cooked a couple of really nice New York Strip steaks in a old fashion iron skillet and they were perfect!
    All he did was put salt in the skillet and put it on the stove and got it "smoking hot" and then put the steak in and immediately covered the skillet and let them cook about a minute and a half or so and then turned them over and did the same thing. Then he took the skillet off the heat still covered and let them sit for a few minutes. They were cooked perfect! He also cooked fresh hamburger the same way and they were very juicy and fully cooked.
    Try it and you will amazed.
    Bill

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratoblaster View Post
    A friend of mine cooked a couple of really nice New York Strip steaks in a old fashion iron skillet and they were perfect!
    All he did was put salt in the skillet and put it on the stove and got it "smoking hot" and then put the steak in and immediately covered the skillet and let them cook about a minute and a half or so and then turned them over and did the same thing. Then he took the skillet off the heat still covered and let them sit for a few minutes. They were cooked perfect! He also cooked fresh hamburger the same way and they were very juicy and fully cooked.
    Bill
    Yup cast iron is the only way to go when cooking indoors for steaks.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

4. Member
    My wife and I enjoy smash burgers regularly...I roll up 80/20 into balls...season with salt and pepper...heat up the BGE to about 400...sit a cast iron skillet on the grate for about 15 minutes or 20 minutes....and the burgers are the greatest ever! I smash them to a flat patties and turn once and do it again....having some tonight! MMMM

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    My wife and I enjoy smash burgers regularly...I roll up 80/20 into balls...season with salt and pepper...heat up the BGE to about 400...sit a cast iron skillet on the grate for about 15 minutes or 20 minutes....and the burgers are the greatest ever! I smash them to a flat patties and turn once and do it again....having some tonight! MMMM
    Seems ive also watched people do something similar. The difference is they take a stainless bowl and cover the burger right after squirting in a little water. I guess the steam helps somehow.

6. Member
    cast iron skillet, the original non stick. I will put mine in the bge look alike with 2.5 to 3 inch bone in ribey and reverse sear,yum
    David Latham

7. Member
    I never tried to cook steak on a skillet till about 2 years ago. I put salt on the steaks about an hour before cooking, so that it absorbs. You can see the juices in the steak come to the surface as its displaced by the salt, after about 20 minutes. Then it soaks back in. This also lets the steak reach room temperature. Then I put just a bit of oil in the bottom of the skillet and heat it up till it starts to smoke then put the steak in.

8. Member
    Question for the OP on those steaks. I like mine medium so how would you say those steaks we're in degree of doneness?

Don't want to overcook. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stratoblaster View Post
    Bill
    I do this with thick bone in chops and transfer to oven for 8 minutes.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898