Thread: Burnt Ends

Burnt Ends

My wife really likes the poor Russ sandwich that she always gets at Jack Stack when we go to Kansas City. I believe it's chopped up burnt ends. So my question is, how do I make burnt ends? I believe it's brisket.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    My wife really likes the poor Russ sandwich that she always gets at Jack Stack when we go to Kansas City. I believe it's chopped up burnt ends. So my question is, how do I make burnt ends? I believe it's brisket.
    Point of brisket...google is your friend. Super easy. I'm lucky as I can get points only here.

Burnt ends can be pork belly or brisket. This recipe looks easy and delicious.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

These are brisket burnt ends.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

5. Member
    We do brisket burnt ends on Wednesdays and Pork Belly Burnt ends on Thursdays for our food truck. Brisket ones I do the following way:

I trim a couple points off of full packer briskets and smoke the point whole till internal temp is around 160* (about 4 hours at 275*)

Once I get the temp and color I'm looking for I cube the points up and re-season them with some rub. They then go back into the smoker (usually in a foil pan, uncovered) for a bit more smoke and to get tender (about 2 hours worth)

Once they are getting closer to the "squishy" tenderness I'm looking for, I then add butter, brown sugar and some honey into the pans and toss them around, foil over the top and back into the cooker for about an hour. This portion will braise them and get them ready to be glazed.

Pour the pan juice off of the burnt ends and add a sauce which will tack up (glaze) nicely, we use our regular sauce lightly so that customers can add their favorite sauce later, the glaze just helps lock in the moisture.

5 minutes into the cooker and they are set, ready to eat.

Our pork belly ones are really grabbing attention, we recently had a newspaper article written about us with the headline referencing the "meat candy" one could find we do, which is referring to our pork belly, they are an experience for sure.

If you do not want to burn a whole packer brisket, you can use a chuck roast with similar results for the brisket burnt ends, they are very similar cuts of meat.

6. Member
    Love to try the pork belly burnt ends, do you do them the same way/cooking time as the brisket?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Love to try the pork belly burnt ends, do you do them the same way/cooking time as the brisket?
    With our pork belly burnt ends we cube the belly, smoke the cubes until we get the color we want (about 2 hours), then pan and foil on top with butter, brown sugar and honey and braise them for another 2ish hours until squishy, then pour off fat and add glaze mixture and back in smoker for 5 mins to set and then serve to our customers. They go super fast every week, we sell out of two full pork bellys in about an hour and a half for dinner service.