Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar

Quickdraw questions

I mounted my new 93 at the helm.
    So I am wondering, can I just start the recording feature and let it record while I move around with the trolling motor?
    Or do I need to be moving faster with the outboard?

Hoping to get out and give the unit a trial run.
    I have been a Bird guy for some time. The ease of the map recording feature is very cool so I thought I would give Garmin a try.
    I hope it works as advertised. I have been fishing a 800 acre lake with no contour map.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

2. Member
    I found it was better (faster) with the big motor. Watch the coverage circle to make sure you're not going too fast and be sure to make overlapping passes. It does work as advertised. The only problems I had with it was against the shallow shoreline. The edges of the pass on the shallow shoreline are not so good.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I turn it on at the ramp, helm and bow unit and go fish. My home lake is almost completely mapped. In the winter while eating a Samich and drinking a Powerade I’ll cruise around slow and map areas were I don’t normally fish.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Thanks so much for the feedback.
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

5. Member
    I turn mine on when I get in the water and just go fish.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

6. Member
    start recording..., then switch to the display page you normally use. it would keep recording in the background.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I do the same....set it to record when I start fishing and stop when I'm done.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    I am having problems with the depth contours being correct on the quickdraw map. Looks like they cannot be adjusted. Make sure you have the lake level and adjust the offset. not sure exactly how but will experment with that next time i am at the lake.

9. Member
    The lake offset is backwards of what you'd think. If the lake is 2' low, set for plus two feet. I learned this the hard way.
    As for speed of recording, the only problem is going to fast.
    As others said, keep a map page open, to show the green circle. Not only to show where you've been, also how good your recording.

10. Member
    I keep mine on as well and it works great! A couple things to note though that I have experienced. On certain lakes that I fish there are LARGE schools of Kokanee. Often times when I pass over these schools, because they are so dense and large the transducer will be fooled into thinking that the school is the bottom. This leaves me with a map that shows a lake floor that goes from 250' up to 20' very abruptly! This of course can be fixed with another pass over the area at a later date,but If I were to upload the map to Active Captain It could make for some confused fisherman. I have also had the same scenario when fishing my down riggers at shallow depths, sometimes the transducer will pick up on the balls and think they are the bottom....It can all be easily fixed though!

11. Member
    Butchor - interesting, just make another pass, and it "fixes" it, Thank you!

12. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    I want to thank you guys for the info. I am impressed with the unit.
    I turned on the record feature and just went fishing. Switching between screens looking around.
    The quick draw is awesome.

The SI images are very good too.
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia