livewell pump not pumping

I replaced a livewell pump that failed. The new pump will run but won't pump water. I backed the boat up and forced water into the pump and it started working. After i run the big motor and stop, the livewell pump won't pump again until I back the boat up again.
    I have 2 livewell pumps that are mounted side by side thru hull for water pickup. I noticed that the one I replaced is rotated differently from the one that works. The off take from the pump going to the livewell is on the bottom instead of (about 2 o'clock on the one that works). Do the pumps have to be rotated in a particular direction for it to pick up water?

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    If it's rotating differently from the other the two wires are hooked up backwards.
    Last edited by bassnman81; 05-17-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

3. Member
    I don't mean that the pump shaft is rotating differently. I meant that the way it's mounted, it's rotated differently. The hose comes off the bottom of the pump where on the other one it comes off the top.

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    That's aa new for me. Seems like they should both have intake from the bottom. Are they Mayfair or Johnson pumps?

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

5. Member
    They are the old Attwood pumps. They came on a 2004 Tritan 19X. They were both installed with the output coming out the top. When I installed the new one I didn't pay attention and installed the new one with the output coming out the bottom. I couldn't hold the pump and tighten the nut at the bottom of the boat and it ended up with the output at the bottom. I just wondered if anyone knew if that makes a difference on the pump having to be primed before I try to re-align the pump. I'll have to get someone to hold the pump while I crawl under and tighten the nut. The pump keeps rotating when I tighten the nut if someone doesn't hold the pump.

6. Member
    It do make a difference. The suction is at the bottom and blows out the side. Your new one sounds backward,just swap the hoses.

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Rotate the out put side to the top to avoid airlock.

8. Member
    Thanks, I'll get someone to help me do that.

9. Member
    I have one that does that sometimes. It’s airlock. Toggle the switch on and off a few times until it regains it’s prime.

There may be a dip in the line that is causing the problem. It could have happened when you replaced the pump.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Had the same problem. Rotated the discharge of the pump up a little and that fixed it. There was a locking ring on mine that could be lifted up a little and then rotate the discharge jup some and put the locking ring back down. Took about two minutes. Has worked fine ince then. Mine was a Rule pump. Maybe they are the same. It discussed this in my owners and installation manual which is online.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

12. Member
    I just replaced both aerator livewell pumps last night in my Javelin I just bought. While removing one of them, the pump body would spin inside the boat so I put a pipe wrench on it to hold it in place. I just tightened the jaws around the pump body and leaned it against the side of the bilge area and it stayed in place while I removed the outside nut. I thought I would have to do the same when installing the inlet tube nut, but I was able to hold onto the inlet tube while tightening the nut. When I was done, one of the pump bodies had twisted a little, but I was able to adjust the pump outlet straight up right away before the 3M 4200 setup.