B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand.
    Last edited by mac87toy; 05-18-2018 at 04:32 PM.

He wants to charge labor again to attempt to fix it the second time? I'd cut my losses and find a better mechanic or do it yourself if it doesn't require expensive special tools.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Sounds like you took it to Flim Flam Marine. Any place I've dealt with stood by their work and not charged to do it again.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Not only robbed but scammed when he used a "used" part from another brand motor.......i'd be more pissed about that then the new kit.....so did he charge you full price for the used part??? Did you know he was going to use th e used part from a Yamaha??? Like said above i think i would ask for money back and go find another mechanic.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    well heres the other problem, there isn't much for boat dealers around or any other then this one. kinda got me in a spot to be honest, but i will do it now and i already bought the lifting eye for my motor incase i ever need to remove it again. i can get an engine hoist from harbor freight for 180 bucks. thats cheaper then the hourly rate for two hours of work.

6. Member
    no i didn't know that, i would NEVER let anyone re-use a seal, a dang SEAL of all things should be changed ANYTIME a part comes out!

7. Member
    exactly why i do all of my own mechanic work on my boats and vehicles.

I don't think I would let him work on my bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mac87toy View Post
    no i didn't know that, i would NEVER let anyone re-use a seal, a dang SEAL of all things should be changed ANYTIME a part comes out!
    Yes seals should never be "re-used'. And is a merc standard and yamaha metric?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

10. Member
    I would feel the same as you.Probably would not take my boat back there.If you can fix it yourself do it because some of these marine shops will nickel and dime you to death and the problem is still there.Finding a good reliable marine service tech that actually knows what he is doing is getting harder and harder to find.Good luck to you
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

11. Member
    Many trim units are interchangeable between makes, they are made by an outside vendor. I have an Evinrude trim unit on my Suzuki. Anyhow, it ain't easy to change some of these, you have to support the motor and open one leg of the motor mount to get it out. All that said, pay the man the $90.00 but he eats the labor. Keep all the parts he does't use on yours, sell them back to him when he needs them.

12. Banned
    Seal kits are ridiculous sometimes. It's the same on road vehicles. For larger seals and gaskets you can sometimes buy them individually, but most come in kits.

If you are going to buy the entire seal kit then have the entire kit installed. Why bother replacing one seal when you can replace them all and be done with it? I also wouldn't pay labor to have a repair re-done. The tech messed up, the labor to correct it is on them.

No labor. He rolled a seal? That's on him. Not your problem. You won't pay for his malpractice.

I dont think I would let him touch my boat again even if it was free labor. Cut your losses and find a reputable place even if you have to drive a ways to get there. Enough can go wrong with a motor without letting some goof ball touch them.

15. Member
    did you approve of him doing it this way before he done it ???, if yes it's on you but if he done it on him, i would be pissed
    Last edited by buster502; 05-18-2018 at 03:03 PM.

16. Member
    I would never have approved him re using a seal EVER! I get that some trim motors are alike, however i don't like he pulled a used seal out of something and put it in

17. Member
    Yes nothing new with that