Question Prop recamendation help.

I have a 2000, Merc 90 hp, serial# OT120836 on a very light weight 17 ft. bass boat. It will run 41-42 mph at 5200 rpms. The prop to pad is 8.5 inches. I'm currently running a 21P aluminum prop. It gets bright spots in the paint where it's cavitating and burning the paint off. I had one of the blades snap off right in line with the burn marks. It gets on plane very well even with full fuel tank and full livewell and two people.

The boat will run the above rpm's and mph all day long in smooth water but any little wave with cause a rise in rpm's and a decrease in speed by 3-4 mph until I back out of the throttle and trim down a little. There is zero rooster tail.

I want to switch to a stainless prop just for the durability but I'm also looking to lessen the cavitation if at all possible. I know the motor needs to be raised and that is in the works.

Any recommendations for a stainless prop that will cure most of the above mentioned woes?

Thanks.
    Hi Mike.

2. Member
    With prop to pad being that deep I would think it is more of an improper exhaust ventilation issue that is causing the cavitation. Prop to pad on any boat I have ever owned has been close to 3.5" below the pad (give or take an inch). also 5200 RPMs sounds low. What boat are you running this setup on, and what is the recommended WOT RPM range for your motor?
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

3. Member
    I have a 2000 BasStream Hydrabass 1700. Recommended WOT rpm's are 5500.
    Hi Mike.