2002 Mercury XR6 Unknown Wire

I have a 2002 Mercury XR6 150 HP direct oil injection. About 5 years ago i had a power pack go out and had it replaced. I was recently in the process of changing the spark plugs when I noticed a brown wire that was tucked back behind a piece of black conduit. I found a second brown wire with a male connector that looks like it should plug into the previous brown wire I'd found (see attached image for both wires). My question is shouldn't these wires be connected? I hadn't noticed anything wrong as a result of it not being connected. Not sure what function this wire performs. Thanks, Bruce

Attached Images Attached Images

For the 150.175 EFI the only tan wire I see goes to a water fuel separator then to a water sensor warning module. This is out of a mercury service manual. Hope this helps
    It is what it is

Hold tight might have it here. XR6/MAG III/175 Diagram shows a tan wire going to a Temperature Gauge Sender connected to Control Box Instrument Connector.

the manual covers 150 XR6 0D082000 through 0G969499

Hope this helps.
    It is what it is

4. Member
    Thank you kkelley. This motor serial number is 0T581058 but I expect it would be similar wire/function. I appreciate your reply. Thanks again, Bruce

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkelley View Post
    Hold tight might have it here. XR6/MAG III/175 Diagram shows a tan wire going to a Temperature Gauge Sender connected to Control Box Instrument Connector.

the manual covers 150 XR6 0D082000 through 0G969499

Hope this helps.
    that's right plug those together and you can add temp gage at dash
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Ah, very cool. Thank you both the info!