Bearing Wash & Oil?

Just wondering if there are any products not necessarily designed for soaking or oiling reel bearings that would work in a pinch that can be found at hardware / department stores? Or should I just plan ahead and keep a good stock of the stuff I use now from boca?

Lighter fluid is all I've ever used.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

acetone in a ultra sonic cleaner. simple green , works too.

4. Member
    I've used acetone in the past without any issues.

What about oils after re-lubing after cleaning? That's really what I am curious about to be honest.

Rem oil if you're looking for something cheap..I use a specific reel oil , the boca stuff is good. Yellow Rocket Fuel , ZPI , Lucas , Clenzoil , etc.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Rem oil if you're looking for something cheap..I use a specific reel oil , the boca stuff is good. Yellow Rocket Fuel , ZPI , Lucas , Clenzoil , etc.
    Not some much looking for cheap, I want a high quality product. Just don't like ordering online. I prefer to spend locally as often as I can get away with. But to put it lightly, our local tackle shops are pathetic. Have to drive no less than 2 hrs to find a decent shop, even farther to get to a place like BassPro or Sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    Not some much looking for cheap, I want a high quality product. Just don't like ordering online. I prefer to spend locally as often as I can get away with. But to put it lightly, our local tackle shops are pathetic. Have to drive no less than 2 hrs to find a decent shop, even farther to get to a place like BassPro or Sail.
    Rem oil has teflon , it's good oil , gun shops carry.

8. Member
    Perfect Thanks!

9. Member
    I use brake cleaner to clean my bearings. I put some in a small container and spin the bearing in the solution with a dremel. They're pretty much free of oil and debris in about 3 seconds. I use ultra light alchemy oil on spool bearings. On the bearings that don't work at high speeds, I just use the free bottles that come with most of my reels.

10. Member
    Naptha (lighter fuel), acetone (nail polish remover), Simple Green all good solvents/cleaning agents. RemOil easily found, quality oil (may need to be re-applied more frequently than some bearing specific oils)

oe

11. Member
    I use carb cleaner from Walmart...BF (be sure to use it outside, pretty strong stuff)

12. Member
    Another easy fast cleaner is CRC Electronic spray cleaner. This stuff dissolves grease in seconds, dries fast, leaves no residue and does not stink. Not to mention it is great to have on the boat. I just place my bearings in a tiny food strainer (thanks wife) step outside and blast the bearings with the red spray tube inserted. A short rinse in lighter for insurance, oil and install. The whole procedure takes 10 minutes.