Tournaments - with or without a partner?

This is my first year to ever own a bass boat and I have a 1987 ChampioN. I have never fished a tournament before but would like to someday. I am by no means the best bass fisherman out there but I have been told by several people over the years that I fish harder than anyone they have ever seen. I don't feel like I'm fishing hard, I just like to cover as much ground as I can while trolling along the shore. You just never know where that one might be laying.

A couple of questions:
    1) Do you guys fish tournaments with or without a partner?
    2) Any advantages either way, with or without a partner?
    3) I currently have a buddy I fish with but he says he would hurt my chances in a tournament so won't enter one with me. How do you go about finding a partner to fish a tournament with? One who is not going to get upset thinking you didn't try hard enough because you didn't place good enough to make any money. I wouldn't mind splitting everything 50/50 but just don't know how to find a partner for the first time.

My boat is not the fanciest or prettiest but it does run good and everything on it works. I only have one fish finder but the screen is so scratched it's hard to read. I know, buy a couple used ones but I am on disability and fixed income so can't really afford that. The steering is stiff on my boat and just now have learned to drive it but at no more than 30mph. I know some guys want to get across to their fishing spot asap in a tournament so there is another factor to consider if I try to find a partner. I would be willing to let him or her drive if they were more comfortable at it than me.

With so many factors to consider, would I be better off entering by myself or still try to find someone? Maybe see if I could partner up with someone locally and use their boat instead of mine? Not sure which way to go here so I thought I would ask y'all because in my opinion, this is the best place to ask for advice! Thanks y'all!

2. Member
    I'm in the same boat when it comes to tourneys, would like to, but don't have much experience with it.

I personally would probably just get a good friend of mine that likes to fish to go with me and basically go at it from a "lets do this for fun and see what happens" point of view. No pressure, just to have a good time and see what happens. Maybe that'd work for you to start? But I'm the absolute last person around here to listen to for tournament advice....shoot, I need all the advice I can get too. Good luck!
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

3. Member
    You may want to start by joining a BASS club in your area. It should; at the least; get you in touch with people of like interest. They should have club tournaments. An easy way to get your feet wet and see if you want to advance.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Banned
    Yep, start small like Ed mentioned to learn the basics with small club tournaments. Then you’d be best to be the non-boater in your first couple big tournaments.

5. Member
    It can sometimes be hard to find a reliable co-angler. If you find one treasure him or her. About all my friends have become too old to play the game that hard. Mainly fish with my sons.

6. Pat Goff
    Yeah, club fishing is your entry into the game. Crawl, walk, run....
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Get that steering fixed!

8. Member
    Thank you all for the great advice! Will check if there are any local BASS clubs and see about joining them. Working on getting the steering fixed ChampioNman! Have got it better than when it was when I first got it but still could be a lot better. One step at a time I reckon!

Go to bushbeaters.xyz we are a small club fishing Mark Twain this weekend. You could go there and just talk with some of the guys to find out more info. They are all pretty good guys that would give you some info on starting out.

10. Banned
    When you start fishing a club or tournaments you have to consider the entry money as the cost of learning. Find someone that you are comfortable fishing with. Personally I try to find someone that has strength in areas I am weaker in. Until you learn the bodies of water or how to pattern you will be donating your money to learn. As a member of a club you will get the opportunity to fish with other members so you can learn more at a lower cost.

11. Member
    Last edited by tj; 05-20-2022 at 08:23 AM.