Champion 190 tournament SC Setup

I recently purchased a ‘96 190 tournament SC. It has a 200hp efi on it with a 6” manual jackplate and 25p 3 blade. I wanted to see what type of performance guys are getting and what their setups are. The motor seems low to me, but before adjusting and playing with it I wanted to see what others have done. With an average load, I am running at about 5800 rpm and about 62mph. I don’t necessarily want to gain too much rpm as I have been told 6000+ on this motor can start causing problems. If anyone has a similar setup, I would like to see what type of performance you’re seeing. Thank you!

2. Member
    MY 97 191 was low to mid 60's with a 200 and a 25 pitch prop. Is your prop a tempest? Start prop to pad at 3.5 inches and adjust 1/4 inch increments. Watch water pressure. You are close to max on that set up.

3. Member
    Unfortunately the boat doesn’t have a pressure gauge. I have thought about getting one, and probably will to be able to play with setup a bit. However, the prop shaft is currently 7.5” lower than the pad. What made me first wonder if it was too low was that with the motor fully trimmed out, I can’t get any sort of rooster tail at all, which in the couple boats that I’ve owned, I’ve always been able to over trim the motor out of the optimum performance area. To make sure I’m thinking this through properly...if I raise the jackplate, I should see higher rpm and possibly less hole shot correct?

Send your prop to Mark Croxin to get tuned up. You'll see mid 60's loaded ready to fish.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Waaaay too low!!! Bring it up to 3.5" And, yes, get a prop worked. You should be turning to optimum for your motor specs...at happy performance!

6. Member
    Do you have any info on how to get in touch with him?

8. Member
    ive got a 98 190dc with a merc 200efi. im setting around 4.5" below pad with a 25 tempest plus and 8"detweler jackplate. im seeing 65-66mph at 5800rpm with water pressure 12-15psi. definitely get your prop worked on.it was like night and day after i got mine done.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzehr75 View Post
    ive got a 98 190dc with a merc 200efi. im setting around 4.5" below pad with a 25 tempest plus and 8"detweler jackplate. im seeing 65-66mph at 5800rpm with water pressure 12-15psi. definitely get your prop worked on.it was like night and day after i got mine done.
    That would be great if I can see those type of results! Are you seeing any chine with your setup? I’ll probably take it up to about 4 and see what it’s like and adjust from there.

Drive to prevent chine and you won't have any.

11. Member
    around 62-63mph is when it will start