No water from tell tail

I started my 2002 vmax 225 for the first time this season i have to water from tell tail. I flushed the motor with flush line i get water from tell tail but not when it is running in a tub. my pressure gauge dosent show any pressure at all even at 3000 rpms i only ran it for about 15 seconds i didnt want it to get hot. My pressure gauge reads way below zero so im not sure if it is working it worked fine last year. Im guessing its probably the water pump.

I bought the boat last year and it had a new lower unit on it. One more thing the last time i had it out i hit a sandbar. I was moving at a very slow speed when i hit it. Like an idiot i didnt check to see if had water coming from tell tail. I only ran about half an mile before i put it on the trailer. Please dont flame me to bad im still new to this boat thing

2. Member
    Sand could have ate up the impeller. Drop the lower and flush the engine again while it's off and then change the impeller and try again. When you flush with the lower off make sure there is water coming out of the water tube that the water pump goes in to that way you know it's not clogged

3. Member
    If the pump is weak at all it will not pick up water unless you have a deep tub above the level of the water pump like it is in a lake. A few seconds spinning at 2000rpm dry will kill it. I had to prime mine with a flush hose to get it to pick up this year. 4th season on the pump and it will be changed this year. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Well i got my pump rebuild kit today. Went to pull off lower unit found out i have 2 broken bolts. The one under the trim tab and the one next to it. But i got the kit in with no problems the old impeller looked like it was in good shape but i feel better installing new one.

I know this has been beat to death but still don't like running the motor with the flush hose. Seems like the impeller is not getting the amount of water it should, but that's my opinion ( & you know what they say about opinions, lol)

6. Member
    With the rebuild kit did you get the plastic water pump housing and the metal plate that rest between the housing the lower unit? Are you sure you have the impeller mounted in the correct direction as it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I know this has been beat to death but still don't like running the motor with the flush hose. Seems like the impeller is not getting the amount of water it should, but that's my opinion ( & you know what they say about opinions, lol)
    Well, the manual says not to do it either.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

I know. Had a 250 pro xs prior to the Yamaha & mercury ( and any Mercury tech) will tell you the flushing hose at the exhaust port is just that. To flush the engine. And yes I know these are 2 different motors.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    The impeller is flooded from the top but obviously it is not pulling anything from the pickup if nothing is there. I have had 2 instances of engines tripping the temp alarm. So there is not enough flow to reach the top of the heads in my experience. But I will "prime" the pump or get it wet with the flusher to get it to pick up from a tub if it is not deep enough to submerge the impeller. I have only tripped a alarm on one engine and watched my buddie do it on his hpdi with the flush hose, not enough volume IMHO. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.